Menu

Derek-in comparing Foerster's Alg I and Tablet Class, what did you see as the differences?

These two are my top 2 contenders right now, leaning toward Foerster's (with the MWB dvds). Dd is quite visual and I'm not sure how we'd like not having an actual textbook to look back at things, etc. She really liked the TC samples though, so I'm torn. I guess I'm kind of concerned because TC is not as "tried and true" as Foerster's.

Did you compare the two extensively (I think you said you have Foerster's there? and I know you're using TC), and if so, what were your findings?

We greatly appreciate your willingness to help out with these questions! :)

These two are my top 2 contenders right now, leaning toward Foerster's (with the MWB dvds). Dd is quite visual and I'm not sure how we'd like not having an actual textbook to look back at things, etc. She really liked the TC samples though, so I'm torn. I guess I'm kind of concerned because TC is not as "tried and true" as Foerster's.

Did you compare the two extensively (I think you said you have Foerster's there? and I know you're using TC), and if so, what were your findings?

We greatly appreciate your willingness to help out with these questions! :)

I will say that you've narrowed your choices down to what I had initially as well. I think they are both great programs and that you can't go wrong with either.

I can't say I've compared both 'extensively', though I have looked both over. I can only base my comparison upon what we've done in TC Pre-Algebra. I have also looked over the Foerster text along with Dolciani and AoPS. Though some have done Algebra 1 without lectures I wouldn't go that route with an Algebra 1 text like Foerster or Dolciani unless I planned to give daily lessons. Those books, while good, were never designed to be used as independent Algebra 1 courses. Rather they were written as student workbooks to be accompanied by daily math lessons. AoPS on the other hand is written toward the student and lends itself toward independent study similar to Saxon.

I like both video lecture formats. They both seem to explain things thoroughly and clearly. While both offer lessons on the algebraic topics TC also provides full step-by- step explanations of the problem sets. That is very helpful at times when the student has trouble understanding certain problems. So I would have give TC a higher rating in that it covers more as an integrated program. Though a parent could probably explain this to the student themselves with the Foerster solutions manual. I think part of it will also depend on how the child responds to both styles of instruction. For some they may find one presenter to be more dry/boring while the other is more engaging. Remember that they will be listening to these lessons for many hours throughout the school year. So that can help in keeping the student more engaged. I think ds11 likes TC lessons a bit more.

Overall I think Foerster would be a bit more difficult initially as they jump right into things like Quadratic Equations in chapter 6. Other programs including AoPS build upon more fundamental algebraic concepts first, then introduce Quadratics in the later parts of the course. I still thinks its doable, just a bit more challenging as the student is still developing an understanding of these algebraic concepts.

Another obvious difference is that one program is more computer based. TC's program including the math problem sets are viewed on the web. This does not mean however that the child answers the problems on screen like other web based programs. The problems are still printed out and done on paper, step-by- step, just like a traditional math course which I like.

I think either choice could be supplemented with the other since TC now offers Algebra lessons free online and the Foerster book is very affordable used.

Lastly I would let your dd listen to both, look over the Foerster text and then demo TC. Obtaining her input will not only help in making your final decision but also give her a greater sense of ownership in her first Algebra course.

I hope that helps some,

My son is finishing up Foerster's this week. We actually used just the book without additional videos, etc. As we have gone through the entire book, I've found that it really does have everything we need to know. If he can read, take a moment to comprehend, he can do it. I've been telling folks, "It's all you need." :) So anyway, that's a bit of a different perspective from a pp. I do think it is written to the student--or at least that's how we've been using it. We did order the solution manual, though for the answers to the even questions and the tests.

The problem we've had while using Foerster's has not really been a problem with Foerster--it is the problem common to the adolescent: making that painful bridge between being taught by another to being motivated to learn, read, struggle through independently. Puberty brain fog can turn a formerly-known-as-super-sharp kid into bean pudding. I talk parents of other kids his age and they tell me the some thing: ALgebra 1 is the nemesis of middle school students.

There are times when I think this all would have been a lot easier if I had waited until he was 15, but...we're almost done now.

My son is finishing up Foerster's this week. We actually used just the book without additional videos, etc. As we have gone through the entire book, I've found that it really does have everything we need to know. If he can read, take a moment to comprehend, he can do it. I've been telling folks, "It's all you need." :) So anyway, that's a bit of a different perspective from a pp.

I agree. I had to relearn alg the first time I went through Foersters with my oldest. It taught us both directly. The book does contain everything you need to know with very good, clear explanations.

I bought Mw/oB DVDs for his alg 2 bk a few yrs ago and found that they actually took away from our math lessons vs. adding to them b/c we just didn't need them. The book's explanations are thorough.