Menu

Career Counseling for the Undecided?

Okay, it doesn't have to be career counseling, but are there any web sites, or resources to help a rising senior at least narrow down options, or decide on a possible career path or course of study? I'm actually not all that worried about my dd's indecisiveness, but it's making her anxious. It seems that's the question on everyone's lips these days, and it's becoming a bit overwhelming for her. I've asked her what she likes, and she says she's not sure. She's an average student, and hasn't shown a particular interest in anything outside of listening to music and watching k-dramas. :leaving:

Figure out your specific interests and preferred ways of working through career interest surveys/assessments.

Research specific occupations.

Learn about various fields through visiting a school's career day.

Look through programs/degrees offered at several of the colleges you think you might attend.

Get together with several other homeschoolers twice a month and bring in 2-3 people from various occupations to speak about their profession.

Visit a career counselor, who can administer several tests, help interpret them, and guide you toward specific areas of interest.

Here are some resources:

- What Color is Your Parachute for Teens (book)

- Choosing a career book suggestion? (past thread, with lots of links and resources)

- Career aptitude test? (past thread, with lots of links and resources)

- Going out of my mind trying to pick a major (past thread, with lots of links and resources)

- California Career Zone (website with free career interest test, loads of occupation info, videos, etc.)

- New York Career Zone (website that matches your top 3 general career interest areas with lists of specific occupations; lots of info on each occupation)

- US Bureau of Labor Occupational Outlook (info on hundreds of occupations, plus a search engine for narrowing by salary, amount of education required, projected growth of that job, etc.)

- Career Clusters (learn about careers via 16 general "clusters", the 70 more specific "pathways" of occupation areas within the clusters, and then the hundreds of "crosswalks" of specific jobs -- Career Clusters connects up with the national One-Net career search resource)

- Kuder Career Search ($5 helpful career interest assessment test)

My favorite is the Ocupational Outlook Handbook from the U.S. Department of Labor. Also here's a great collection of video resources about careers.

If you are a Pinterest person, I have many additional suggestions on my careers board in Pinterest

Thanks for posting your pinterest board! I teach a career exploration course at our homeschool co-op about once a year, but I'd never thought of making a pinterest board.