Menu

WWE3 Grammar Question

WyoSylvia

On day four of week 13 there is this dictation:

By lunchtime the valley was lightly coated, like a cake with confectioner's sugar; and by half past three the snow was of a respectable depth.

The TM states that the second was is a state of being verb. Why isn't it a linking verb?

Thanks for any help,

Sylvia

Hmmmm, not a grammar expert, but I would say that because 'was' is followed by a prepositional phrase that the verb is SOB rather than linking a predicate adjective back to the subject. Not a very technical interpretation, I'll admit. I look forward to reading someone else's opinion.

Hmmmm, not a grammar expert, but I would say that because 'was' is followed by a prepositional phrase that the verb is SOB rather than linking a predicate adjective back to the subject. Not a very technical interpretation, I'll admit. I look forward to reading someone else's opinion.

Stephanie,

Thanks so much for trying to explain it to me. My background in grammar is quite weak though so I still don't understand.

Could someone try to explain it in terms purely related to the definition of state of being verbs?

I googled "linking verb vs state of being verb" and found this:

The book you're using divides the verb "To Be" into two categories:(i) Linking Verb

"To Be" is called a linking verb when it is followed by a subject complement:

• Max
    is
    a girl
    . <predicate noun>

• Max
    is
    tall
    . <predicate adjective>

Subject complements are of two types: nouns and adjectives. Notice that prepositions and adverbs, words that introduce phrases that answer the questions "Where?" and "When?", do not fit into the above category. So, ...

(ii) State-of-Being Verb

"To Be" is called a state-of-being verb when it is followed by a preposition or an adverb:

• Max
    is
    in the house
    . / Where is Max?

• grammatical form: prepositional phrase

• grammatical function: adverb

• Max's party
    is
    today
    . / When is the party?

• grammatical form: adverb

• grammatical function: adverb

The prepositional phrase "in the house" doesn't describe "Max", as does "tall" in "Max is tall", nor does it rename "Max", as does "a girl" in "Max is a girl." The prepositional phrase "in the house" tells us where Max is located, and the reason your book defines "To Be" as a state-of-being verb in those kinds of sentences.

The adverb "today" doesn't describe "Max's party", nor does it rename "Max's party". It answers the question "When?", and the reason your book defines "To Be" as a state-of-being verb in those kinds of sentences.