Menu

Question about dual credit hours

I have always assumed (and seen here) that if my child takes a community college class as a high school student, a one semester class would be counted as one high school credit (a year's worth) on their transcript. So, one semester of Biology at cc would be shown on their transcript as equal to a year's credit of Biology.

A friend has her son in a special public school that is affiliated with the local community college. The idea is, you can graduate from high school with an associate's degree. As he is ready, he takes college classes. He's a sophomore and currently taking English and history at the college this semester. However, these classes will only count as a half credit on his high school transcript. What's up with that?

High schools can make whatever rules they like about how credit will be applied to the high school transcript. It could be that the courses are lighter in content, but most likely they just want the students to be taking English courses all year instead of half a year. As a homeschooler, you can apply the credit however you want. However, if you're applying in state, admissions may take into account the way high schools usually assign credit, but I really don't know.

High schools can make whatever rules they like about how credit will be applied to the high school transcript. It could be that the courses are lighter in content, but most likely they just want the students to be taking English courses all year instead of half a year. As a homeschooler, you can apply the credit however you want. However, if you're applying in state, admissions may take into account the way high schools usually assign credit, but I really don't know.

Hadn't thought about that.

Rhonda, Angie or others from Texas might be able to give you good information. As for me, and assuming applying out of state, and assuming a true college course both in content and workload, I would assign a full high school credit for 3, 4 or 5 credit courses. In our experience, the college courses really do fit a full year of work into one semester - they move quickly.

Different people have different criteria for deciding what credit to award. My general rule has been 4 college credit hours and over get 1 high school credit. Anything under that gets 1/2 credit. Another thing to think about ... AP exams. An AP class usually only gets 1 high school credit, but may cover the same material as two semesters of a college class. This is common with AP US History, AP Biology, AP Physics B, and I am sure there are a few others.

I have always assumed (and seen here) that if my child takes a community college class as a high school student, a one semester class would be counted as one high school credit (a year's worth) on their transcript. So, one semester of Biology at cc would be shown on their transcript as equal to a year's credit of Biology.

Yes, that is true. It's what I did with my dc, and what all my homeschool friends did with theirs.

A friend has her son in a special public school that is affiliated with the local community college. The idea is, you can graduate from high school with an associate's degree. As he is ready, he takes college classes. He's a sophomore and currently taking English and history at the college this semester. However, these classes will only count as a half credit on his high school transcript. What's up with that?

Schools can do whatever they want.

I'm thinking, though, that if a high school grad applies to a college and already has an AA (so he may actually count as a *transfer* student) the credits on his c.c. transcript are more valuable than the credits the high school awarded him, KWIM?

In California, when a student transferred from a c.c. to a state college or university, the high school transcript was irrelevant. It may be different in other states.