Menu

Nature journal

Smiles

I have a ds 5 we love being outside, we go out everyday even when its freezing! I was wondering if you all think he would be to young for a nature journal? If he is not too young what would I use how would I do it? If this has already been posted somewhere else feel free to redirect me! Thanks

I bought my boys each a spiral artist's sketch pad from Walmart for under $4. The pages are thick enough that markers or pens won't bleed through. A friend of mine had the best idea for nature journaling so I just copy her! She simply has her kiddos sit in a comfy spot outside and journal however they are led. Anytime they go on an outdoorsy field trip, they make time to just sit and journal afterward before leaving. When they explore the woods or other new areas and then write or draw about their experience. If something in particular catches their eye, they journal about it and then follow up for more info when they get home. They have on-going lists in their journals of things they would like to see as sort of a scavenger hunt. It's been neat to see their journals. :)

We use this book, it's a great book to get you started. I have a Forestry degree and found it very helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/Nature-Connection-Workbook-Families-Classrooms/dp/1603425314/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1362481537&sr=1-1&keywords=nature+study

Each child has a 3 ring binder, me too! The binders are divided by month. When we make observations they are placed in the binder by month and day. The grand idea is to compare what was seen from one year to the next. This is our first year so can't say for certain if this works over the long haul but the theory is sound (-;

One other question I have is my ds is not real good at drawing he seems to really like it but he does struggle a bit, I think his drawings are very cute but he seems to get frustrated if it doesn't look just right to him! He still draws stick figures is this a big deal, is there anything I should do to help? Sorry may be a stupid question but I figured I would ask.

My son and I both keep a nature journal. He's 7 now, but was 6 when we started. He picks whatever he wants to draw, then we'll look it up and identify it in a field guide. I'll usually have him write the Latin name down too.

My son loves to draw and has been drawing since he could pick up a crayon. However, he's not an award winning artist by any means. lol This sometimes does frustrate him, especially when we're working on drawing or art. I just tell him that even great artists started somewhere and this is his rendition and unique to him and not to compare himself too much, especially not to an adult artist whose work is considered genius. For nature drawing, for us, as long as he can recognize what he drew while we're looking it up, it's all good. I'm not much of an artist either, but I draw and sketch with him. He actually prefers this and often asks me to draw with him while we're doing Draw Write Now. I need to get back into doing it with him, now that I think about it....

My son and I both keep a nature journal. He's 7 now, but was 6 when we started. He picks whatever he wants to draw, then we'll look it up and identify it in a field guide. I'll usually have him write the Latin name down too.

My son loves to draw and has been drawing since he could pick up a crayon. However, he's not an award winning artist by any means. lol This sometimes does frustrate him, especially when we're working on drawing or art. I just tell him that even great artists started somewhere and this is his rendition and unique to him and not to compare himself too much, especially not to an adult artist whose work is considered genius. For nature drawing, for us, as long as he can recognize what he drew while we're looking it up, it's all good. I'm not much of an artist either, but I draw and sketch with him. He actually prefers this and often asks me to draw with him while we're doing Draw Write Now. I need to get back into doing it with him, now that I think about it....

Thank you.