Menu

wordly wise? wise investment?

mamamoon

Wordly Wise is a vocabulary program. I don't really know much about younger levels but my 13 yo ds has used it for the last couple of years and for his level there is a new word list each week with the definitions and then each day there is an activity like mix and match, fill in the blanks, crossword puzzle, and proofreading, all to help dc learn the definitions of the word. This is one program we intend to stick with, ds never complains about it and his vocabulary is great.

I think that it would be a bit overkill if you were using a spelling program as well. My 6th and 7th graders are using WW but they only do dictation for spelling these days, not a spelling program. I think WW focusses more on word meanings and usage than just on spelling, but I don't give it to my younger dc who are still working with spelling programs.

My personal opinion is that, for us, it was not worth it. We got it and used it one year (I think in 2nd grade), and we decided against getting it again. We have built vocabulary other ways (Latin derivatives, spelling, reading, discussing, etc). I do think I will do the Vocabulary from Classical Roots either this year or next, though (mine are in 6th).

Best wishes,

Lydia

Not useful in lower grades, I think. We use it with my oldest, so this year I noticed they now offer early grades. I ordered the 2nd grade book, but its not terribly useful. DD knows what those words mean, LOL, she can't spell or read them though, so thats where we need to focus! Too much like busy work, IMO.

Upper grades (we started with 5) are great, though. We'll wait until 4th grade or so.