Menu

Need help with 4th and 2nd grade!

4maybabies

I'm finding myself going crazy about what to pick for my 4th and 2nd graders. AT this point, I have my DS5 doing MFW K and we're loving it. He should be done sometime this summer, and i will move him into MFW 1st. I have a DS3 who is doing school when he wants to...but nothing really formal. I also have a DS2 and will have a newborn this May.

With that being said, I want something that is pretty much all-in-one for my older 2. I NEED something hands-on for my DD8. She NEEDS to color while I talk, she NEEDS to do crafty things or she doesn't retain much. The crafts do not have to extravacant or anything. Things like lapbooks work fine. My DS6 who will be combined with her is much more an auditory learner...so he will not need to do any of the extras.

So what are my options? I really like MFW K...are the other levels similar to it?

Thanks!

Well, SOTW could help you.... you could get the audio cds and the activitiy pages. The older two could color the activitiy pages and maps while they listen. (Or they can wait on the maps until you are free to give them specific marking instructions from the activity guide - your choice.) For science - well you could just get books from the library (or if you don't want to go to the library with so many little ones - I totally get that!!! - you could order a bunch of Let's Read and Find Out Books) and let them read and sketch. (The 4th grader might want something a little more challenging) If you want experiments - there are ways to do that (but don't ask me, lol!!!) Anyway, that leaves skill subjects.... You could take a look at CLE for math and LA - it's laid out in a way that you would spend a little bit of time with them teaching the new material and then there's a big chunk they can do on their own. For reading, you might just want to choose books for each one, put them on a shelf, and require a certain amount of reading each day.... or you can do something more formal if you want.

Can you have your dd draw/model/re-enact what she's just read? That's what we do. I also have my 3rd grader color detailed pictures from Dover that relate to what we're learning about (they have books for Colonial times, Revolution, lots of science-themed books, etc).