Menu

8th grade math after MUS Zeta....

Hi everyone!

We have just finished up our last lower grammar level of math- zeta. My son has struggled in math with every math program except MUS. I understand it probably will be lacking in many areas as it is not as rigorous as others- so I've heard.

All of that being said, can anyone suggest a good, solid, gentle pre Algebra? I've heard that MUS is not a good source for High school math. Thoughts on that would be appreciated as well? My son loves science and I want to make sure he has a solid math foundation. He can do the math. He just needs a slow, mastery approach to it. I feel like MUS gave him the tools to really understand the grammar math. He gets it. So, now what? Should I consider MUS high school if it's working? I want to make sure he is prepared. PERIOD.

Any thoughts and suggestions would greatly be appreciated as we are now without a our next math book! lol!

Blessings!

If MUS works for him I would continue him in it and add a second supplementary math program alongside it. It seems a shame to change what's working for him, especially if you've never looked at the program at the higher levels. I've seen many reviews of people whose kids are not terrific at math but have excelled with MUS and gone on to college with no problems.

We are going to stick with MUS until we graduate, or it stops working. If you hit a road block, I've found their advice and customer service to be wonderful. One time I was even given Steve Demme's cell number to call and get some advice. That alone makes me want to stick with the program through high school :).

Alison

I have one that is still using MUS and one that I switched, but I strongly recommend finishing Pre-Algebra with MUS before you switch. MUS Pre-Algebra fills a lot of gaps that kids have compared to other curriculums. Once he has finished that he will be redy for whatever Algebra you decide on. If MUS is what has worked, I can highly recommend sticking with it for high school. So far our test scores have shown that was a great decision for ds.

I would strongly recommend doing pre-algebra with MUS. Because of the non-standard scope and sequence, if you stop after zeta there will still be gaps.

For high school, MUS is more gentle than others, but if he has struggled with every other curriculum he has tried, I would continue with MUS.

Thanks everyone! Whew! I feel so much better now. I really wanted him to continue with MUS but I was so concerned with what I had heard that I thought I really should change. We will go ahead and move forward with PreAlgebra, and I will look at the high school level courses in-depth. We might just stay with it. It really works for him and he loves it.

Many thanks for support!