Menu

AP US Government Politics textbook

My daughter is signing up for her first online AP class as a 9th grader. I'm a little concerned because they are switching to an online text instead of a traditional textbook.

http://soomopublishi...m/centralideas/

I am worried that this approach doesn't have the proven AP score rate as a traditional textbook.

Eta:

This online rext is actually on the College Board list of recommended texts.

I still would like any thoughts you have about this choice. Thanks.

Unless your daughter has a specific LD in association with digital texts, there should not be any disadvantage. Actually, using digital texts effectively is increasingly a needed skill. Well designed digital texts allow incorporation of many multimedia presentation tools. With a government class the ability to link to animated graphics and sound/video excerpts conveniently could actually be a great timesaver. Although I am a paper book lover, I accept that my Dd is coming of age in a different and digital world.

As long as the content is on par with quality paper texts, there really is no disadvantage. I can't speak to this specific text.

If would feel more comfortable, why not pick up an inexpensive backup paper text to have available?

I'm not a huge fan of digital texts but I can see ways that it would be useful in a govt class. It would allow a lot of media linkages. For example to interactive charts, maps or tables. Think about being able to see voting results on a color coded map for multiple elections. Or the cool mash ups that show campaign donations by neighborhood.

On the other hand I think you also need to be able to handle a large amount of text as a college student and not only in highly engaging video formats. I think the media should supplement not replace strong text. I'm not sure if that is the case here.

I'm not a fan of digital texts either, but ds got most of his textbooks digitally this year (He's a junior in college).

I think that part of the push toward digital textbooks is that there is no resale. The online access packs can have an expiration date and you can't just pass along your copy, let alone sell it.

With high schools, the publishers can release a new edition and announce that they aren't supporting old editions. So while the school might have the text still (or might not, if they paid for a subscription or an annual license) but might not have access to extra features like online problem sets, grading, online quizes, etc.

I think that part of the push toward digital textbooks is that there is no resale. The online access packs can have an expiration date and you can't just pass along your copy, let alone sell it.

With high schools, the publishers can release a new edition and announce that they aren't supporting old editions. So while the school might have the text still (or might not, if they paid for a subscription or an annual license) but might not have access to extra features like online problem sets, grading, online quizes, etc.

Oddly enough, he didn't mention using any of that stuff.

Not only is there no resale, they might not be able to even use it the next year. And they are not enough cheaper to make up the difference.