Menu

Vocabulary from Classical Roots

I am looking at using this series with my son next year for 5th grade. We have dropped a workbook style spelling program and are instead using a test everyday Spelling Power style of spelling practice, using lists that I make up. It just works better for my son's spelling skills but we have lost the benefit of vocab practice within his spelling workbooks.

So I'm looking to add in a workbook style vocab practice instead. I want something fairly easy to use that won't take up too much of our time. With Vocab from Classical Roots do we need to start with the 4th grade book or can we jump into the fifth grade book next year? He has a decent vocabulary already and is a strong reader. Also, what do I need to teach it? Is the teacher guide necessary?

I've read a few reviews that called the program dry. I'm not opposed to that if it is an easy, solid program... RS Eng can be a bit dull but we love it... but I'm also open to other suggestions. Is there another program that is similar that people prefer? I don't want anything phonics/spelling based... just root words/word families.

Thanks.

Sounds like Vocab from Classical Roots is what you are looking for...it's definitely a workbook approach, stems/roots, etc. I would go ahead and start the 5th grade book, given his already strong vocabulary.

christianbook.com has samples of the books to give you a better idea of what each level has. Sorry for the sloppy link!

http://www.christian...R|1666414|97288

ETA: The teacher guide isn't totally necessary, they do have just an answer guide--cheaper!

You might also want to compare Vocab from Classical Roots with Vocabulary from Latin and Greek Roots from Prestwick House (start with book 1).

http://www.amazon.com/Vocabulary-Latin-Greek-Roots-Book/dp/1580492002/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362110534&sr=8-1&keywords=Vocabulary+from+latin+and+greek+roots+book+1

Or Michael Clay Thompson's Caesar's English and Caesar's English II from Royal Fireworks Press. You only need the teacher's manual as a homeschooler. It is not a workbook, but a sit-on-the couch and discuss together program. My son has had 100% retention from this.

• Like 1

Thanks for the links. The samples look pretty good... glad to know that I don't really need the teacher guide. Much cheaper without it.

I searched for Caesar's English... and that looks like a nice option too. I think my son would prefer it to a workbook (anything not to pick up a pencil)... but I'm getting stretched pretty thin on teaching time. How much time does it take? What do I need to use it? It looks like there is a student book, a teacher book, a classic edition and an implementation book. Is it available anywhere else other than through the publisher? I like to combine shipping when I can.

We did Caesar's English 1 with both boys and we did a few lessons in 2, but the retention is harder because the exercises are not very helpful. So we stopped doing CE 2 and switched to Sadlier-Oxford Vocabulary workshop. Ds 8 is using Orange level while ds10 is using Level A, which is very challenging. They both enjoy doing it. I check their work, point out their mistakes, and have them corret them. They are learning and doing it even when I can't be available. For Caesar's English, the mom has to initiate and lead the discussion, making it 100% teacher dependent.

I love the transition to Sadlier VW. Thanks to Crimson Wife that recommended it.

For your 5 th grader, The Blue Level might be a good fit for it is for 5 th graders. I wish I had started ds 10 with blue first.

You can get a cheap clean used copy at Amazon. You DO NOT have to use the TM. I am doing well without. Make sure the used copy you get says "no writing inside", or "x number of pages are written in". I would buy it if it is cheap with only 5 or fewer pages used. The Level A I bought was brand new at used price and the Orange was used with only two pages with some stray crayon marks.

Hope this helps!

If you need independent, workbook-style vocab that includes word roots, teaches vocab in context, and requires very little physical handwriting, also consider Wordly Wise 3000. It goes through grade 12 and you can order the answer keys without having to prove that you are a homeschooler (which I cannot do as our state doesn't require registration, so we have no documentation). I appreciate answer keys at the higher levels and for saving time. At this website you can see complete word lists by level and there are free reinforcement activities (games) for every lesson - just click on "students". This is the only LA curriculum that my DS has specifically asked to continue for next year - he really likes it.

My son does Vocab from Classical Roots independently, although we usually end up discussing something because he finds it interesting. He started later in 5th grade and he will complete books 4, 5, and 6 by the end of 6th grade doing one lesson a week (there are only 16 lessons per book.) We only use the workbook, not the teacher's manual or tests.

FWIW, my kids found Wordly Wise a waste of time. If your child reads a lot, they will run across many words that WW and Sadlier-Oxford cover.

This may be true if you place your student in a workbook based solely on grade level. If you place your DC in one of the workbooks according to reading level, they shouldn't have that problem. WW has the complete word lists on the website I linked in my earlier post, so you can look them over & place DC in the appropriate workbook level. In my experience, reading is really the best way to develop a strong vocabulary anyway, so placement based on reading level makes the most sense to me.

We stopped spelling and switched to vocab this year in 7th grade. We have used "classical roots" and it has been very easy. It is totally self directed. I assign some every day and we will easily complete A and B this year.

Oh, get the answer key. I didn't get one, due to just spacing on it, and it has been a real pain. I don't need a teacher book, but it would be so nice if he could correct it himself. I did get the test booklet for each book and that does have a key in the back.