Menu

Talk to Me About Biblioplan

Dahliarw

I was just looking at this tonight. I usually spend an insane amount of time mapping out SOTW for the year. Does Biblioplan actually map things out for you week by week. Is the scope/sequence comprable (I really like the SOTW includes a good amount of non-western history). Is it easy to use with multiple kids of different ages?

Thanks!

SOTW is scheduled every week. It is not in the SOTW order (BP groups it to be less jumpy. I love the BP order but some don't like that you are not reading SOTW in order). Everything is scheduled for you, readings, maps, coloring pages, projects. We are loving BP. I have several posts on my blog about BP. I can link later or you can just search Biblioplan in the labels. :)

I was just looking at this tonight. I usually spend an insane amount of time mapping out SOTW for the year. Does Biblioplan actually map things out for you week by week. Is the scope/sequence comprable (I really like the SOTW includes a good amount of non-western history). Is it easy to use with multiple kids of different ages?

Thanks!

I'm only using BP's schedule with one child right now, and I don't think that's it's strength (scheduling SOTW for 1 child). I think it would be great for different ages, trying to mesh MOH and SOTW and other resources all together, along with the literature. For now, with one child, just using SOTW and AG, I think reading 3 sections of SOTW (in SOTW order) per week would be easiest. Just put in a bookmark and go.

But yes, BP does schedule SOTW, 1 level per BP year. Scope and sequence is the same thing--it is SOTW, they just regroup the chapters, so that history is taught sequentially, rather than strictly chronologically. If you like that and are already attempting to arrange that yourself, BP would help you.

Along that topic, I just found this article by SWB that addresses the difference between her SOTW order and other companies who choose to arrange things sequentially, which might be interesting to you. Start about 1/2way through the article at the paragraph beginning with, "Many history curricula are set up for sequential, civilization-centered study."

I think part of the draw for me, now, is that next year I will have 2 kiddos I'm teaching. We'd be on year 3. I was already considering grouping the American History stuff together to make it more cohesive (and supplementing with a lot of literature to emphasize it). I also liked how Biblioplan maps out some literature and such... Does anyone use their companion?

SOTW is scheduled every week. It is not in the SOTW order (BP groups it to be less jumpy. I love the BP order but some don't like that you are not reading SOTW in order). Everything is scheduled for you, readings, maps, coloring pages, projects. We are loving BP. I have several posts on my blog about BP. I can link later or you can just search Biblioplan in the labels. :)

Your blog was very helpful. I've also looked into TOG, but figure if I go that route it won't be until we start the cycle again since their years don't line up. But lots to think about.

Just in case you haven't seen it---Biblioplan does have 3 weeks of samples available for download. It might give you a chance to try it out and see whether it works for you or not.

Thanks! That is helpful. I am interested in how it works in real life with real homeschooling familes. Wondering if people use the companion instead of or in addition to SOTW. It looks like they're trying to make that a spine?

I'm only using BP's schedule with one child right now, and I don't think that's it's strength (scheduling SOTW for 1 child). I think it would be great for different ages, trying to mesh MOH and SOTW and other resources all together, along with the literature. For now, with one child, just using SOTW and AG, I think reading 3 sections of SOTW (in SOTW order) per week would be easiest. Just put in a bookmark and go.

But yes, BP does schedule SOTW, 1 level per BP year. Scope and sequence is the same thing--it is SOTW, they just regroup the chapters, so that history is taught sequentially, rather than strictly chronologically. If you like that and are already attempting to arrange that yourself, BP would help you.

Along that topic, I just found this article by SWB that addresses the difference between her SOTW order and other companies who choose to arrange things sequentially, which might be interesting to you. Start about 1/2way through the article at the paragraph beginning with, "Many history curricula are set up for sequential, civilization-centered study."

Thank you. I go back and forth between chronological and sequential. I do find it difficult to jump around, and wonder if the chronological links can be added in a sequential study. So, mention things studied previously, put things on the same timeline, etc. I'm kind of up in the air about the best approach. It's great to draw relationships about time periods between different regions like chronological does so well, but it is confusing to my son to jump back and forth from civiization right now. I'm also really bad about adding in literature, there are just too many suggestions in the AG, and then I'll pick one, and it totally won't be at the right level for ds or it will bore him...

I think part of the draw for me, now, is that next year I will have 2 kiddos I'm teaching. We'd be on year 3. I was already considering grouping the American History stuff together to make it more cohesive (and supplementing with a lot of literature to emphasize it). I also liked how Biblioplan maps out some literature and such... Does anyone use their companion?

We use SOTW audios and the Companion. I really like the companion for several reasons.

1) it gives me the whole picture. I only read limited selections to my kids, but it helps me to have the whole picture of what is going on in history so I can pick out the most important and interesting things to highlight to my kids.

2) the pictures are great. My kids love seeing the different pics and images. We have it on the iPad and just zoom in.

3) the Companion is where the church history comes in mostly. I love this aspect.

4) there are some really interesting topics in there. I have enjoyed it and learned a lot myself.

I actually emailed biblioplan with several questions and they responded within an hour! I'm impressed! So I'm assuming the customer service is great. They are redoing year 3 now to the newer version, so the older version (hard copies) are discounted. The new version will come put ebooks only in segments. Personally, that would drive me nuts, I need to see the whole year laid out! So I went ahead and bought the family guide, companion, and maps and I'll try them out next year. If I hate it I'll sell them, no biggie. I think I'll keep the maps no matter what - I like them better than SOTW (I bought the ebook for maps, easier to print off). They also said I can get the updates for the family guide, so unless I want another hard copy next go around at history, I can just get the updates. Good to know if you're looking into it. We'll see how it goes. I like that it's 34 weeks, that means I can squeeze in a week or two of our early state history as it fits in chronologically with the American History stuff!

Thanks for all your help!

• 1 month later...