Menu

Start at WWS 1 or Creative Writer with a 7th grader?

Well we've been doing WWS1 this year (8th), and I got CW2 and 3 to try for this summer or fall. We'll see how it works out, but at a certain point I think your dc doesn't need CW1 anymore. It suggests that in the intro of CW2. Guess it depends on what you've already done.

In any event, I'd definitely do WWS1.

Well we've been doing WWS1 this year (8th), and I got CW2 and 3 to try for this summer or fall. We'll see how it works out, but at a certain point I think your dc doesn't need CW1 anymore. It suggests that in the intro of CW2. Guess it depends on what you've already done.

In any event, I'd definitely do WWS1.

I didn't know Level 2 and 3 had come out. I'm always behind the times. :)

So, what do you think of them? Have you looked at them enough to give a review?

You know they are teaching completely different kinds of writing, right? CW is about writing stories and poetry - fiction, creative writing, and WWS is about expository writing, essays, reports, etc. So while both are great and they are complementary, the will buy you completely different skill sets. So I'd base my decisions on what kind of writing I thought my dc needed to develop the most, and/or their interests. I'm with SWB that nobody should be forced to do creative writing unless they have an interest, but that all students need to learn expository writing.

I didn't know Level 2 and 3 had come out. I'm always behind the times. :)

So, what do you think of them? Have you looked at them enough to give a review?

Sorry, they're in my bag to deal with later. I liked 'em enough to buy 'em. We also like the Writing Magic book by Levine (??) Chrysallis recommends. Dd read it, but I want to slow down and go through some of the stuff and practice the concepts.

We're sort of bogged down in a project right now. When we get it done, then I'll have some wiggle room to look at CW and figure out how we're using it. Yes, I think it has potential. It's probably kind of dry, like WWS, but we've figured out how to make that work with small bites, nibble nibble, and lots of highlighting.

Ok, I just pulled them out to look at them. So far, I like what I'm seeing at least as much as I hoped I would.