Menu

Guest oxford_comma

Guest oxford_comma

Found this forum through another forum :-)

I am planning to homeschool my son next year. He is currently in Kindergarten, but is performing almost at a 2nd grade level based on their testing. I want to provide him with a curriculum that will stimulate and challenge him, but it is highly important to me that his education is secular. I am having difficulty finding curricula that have good reviews but are not Christian and I assume this is because I am just not sure where to look, or what I should be looking for. If anyone can point me to the appropriate board to discuss/read about this topic, I would be very grateful!

You won't find much in the way of "boxed" that will fit your needs if he is high functioning. You will need to piece together. Download samples when you can to get a feel for things. Also start out cheap so you don't bury yourself in the need to use expensive stuff you really hate. This is a good place for language arts:http://www.growingwithgrammar.com/

simple and easy to use and you can look at the samples to see what he would need. For History you could just run through Story of the World with the activity book and for science maybe look at Elemental Science.

Welcome! This board is a great place to come for ideas. Just make sure you let people know you want secular. Also if you have not already read The Well Trained Mind book now is a great time! Libraries frequently have it. If you like it there are good suggestions for curriculum, especially in later editions.