Menu

Great biology texts?

I am looking for biology textbooks to use for the spine for our biology units over the next couple of years.

Ideally, I'd like to find two books, one at middle-school level and one at high-school level, that are complimentary, so that my daughters could study the same subjects, but each at their own level.

Any suggestions for great biology texts?

Also, any suggestions for biology books that I should read to refresh my memory before I teach?

Biology by Campbell and Reese is a classic for a good reason. (High school)

Human Molecular Genetics by Strachan and Reade is ambitious, but outstanding if you have a budding geneticist in the house.

(High school).

I will update if I can recall my favorite micro book, but the Campbell book should cover micro for the high school level.

I like the Holt Science and Technology series, which ds uses in middle school. The format is great -- new words highlighted, brief definitions, key words, charts and tables, excellent graphics. I don't mean to imply that the series is gimmicky, just that it makes complicated tics understandable.

Miller & Levine Biology is solid, if busy in terms of layout. I would peg it as easier than the Campbell. Both are high school texts , but depending upon how advanced your middle school daughter is you might consider the Miller & Levine for her and the Campbell for your high school student. They cover the same topics, but the reading level is lower in the Miller & Levine. My son worked through it in 6th grade (I selected end of chapter questions that were appropriate for his level).