Menu

Celiac disease-recipe needed

I was diagnosed with Celiac disease recently, so I want to thank you about being thoughtful about what you are bringing!

First of all, some grocery stores carry gluten-free products in their health food aisles that make for very tasty deserts. Namaste makes a very good spice cake, The Gluten-Free Pantry and Pamelas brand have very good mixes as well.

Obviously, the things to look out for are anything containing wheat, barley or rye..and the jury is still out among doctors whether to keep oats off that list as well. Be on the lookout, also, for maltodextrin and modified food starch. Those normally are from wheat, and can cause a reaction. If you want to stay simple, buy some pure vanilla ice cream like Breyers or Hagan Daaz. A great warm-weather treat and kids love ice cream! Also, you can take some cut fresh strawberries or raspberries and sprinkle that on top.

Hope that helps!

Jean, that is so sweet that you are willing to make a GF snack for them! I have a gluten-sensitive son.

You can substitute 3/4 cup of white rice flour + 1 tsp. of xanthan or guar gum (guar is cheaper, btw) for 1 cup of flour in recipes. I made the Hillbilly Housewife brownies with this method and they were delish! You may want to make sure those children can have eggs and dairy, too.

Hillbilly Houswife Brownies (you can also click on her fudge-like brownies on that page)

Blessings,

Camy

We are going to some friends house on Wednesday and I want to bring a dessert. One of their children has celiac desease so I want to make sure it's something she can have too. Any ideas? Thanks! :)

I suggest that you be super careful that no product containing gluten or object that's touched gluten gets close to your desert. Some Celiacs are hyper sensitive to gluten. For example, my bil ordered a meal without the bun. The meal was delivered on the bun, but he couldn't just remove the bun andeatthe meat, the meat already had too much gluten for him.

I suggest that you be super careful that no product containing gluten or object that's touched gluten gets close to your desert. Some Celiacs are hyper sensitive to gluten. For example, my bil ordered a meal without the bun. The meal was delivered on the bun, but he couldn't just remove the bun andeatthe meat, the meat already had too much gluten for him.

Good to know, thanks!

I made rice pudding for my gluten-free guests. It's an easy recipe: start with cooked rice, use twice as much *coconut milk* as rice, add some sweetener, and cook on top of the stove until it's pudding. Add some vanilla when it finishes cooking. Voila! Yummy dessert :-)