Menu

Thinking through a literature program -

Melissa B

If you wanted to do your own literature program and study only one book of literature (really in-depth) each year (K-8), which books would you pick?

Other literature would be read throughout the year, but one book that is really studied for literary analysis, grammar, virtues, connections, and interesting conversation?

Well, we didn't even finish our one book last yr. :) We are finishing it up this yr. Literary Lessons from LOTRs is designed as a 1 yr indepth study for high school and I was doing it with my 6th grader last yr.

I could not put together anything even comparable on my own. She does an excellent job of pulling in themes, vocab, biographical info on Tolkein, inspiring works (like Iliad, Beuwolf, etc).

I think there are other programs similiar to LL from LOTRs for elementary school for books like Little House on the Prairie and the Narnia series.

With the exception of series type books, I don't think I would even consider it, especially for elementary school.

I agree that one book per year would be difficult for me to focus on! I would also do a series, or, I would choose a few different genres to cover and books for those genres.

For example, I could choose humor, mystery, and fantasy and choose a book for each genre and cover each book in one or two months. You could do a study on the author and other authors in the genre as well as what makes that genre special, character development, setting, plot, etc.

Hope this helps.