Menu

Neuropsych or just WJ?

lillehei

I have a 10 yo son who seems to be going backwards in reading comprehension and spelling. I would like to get him tested to see if he has an LD.

My dd was tested twice by a Neuropsych in 1st and 3rd grade because she was having so much trouble in public school (always got As but had so much trouble with writing and spelling). Since homeschooling, everything has resolved itself except for letter and number reversals. I found the Neuropsych test to be very long and stressful, on my daughter and on me. It was nice to get such comprehensive results but it was a long drive, long test and she never tested in any category to need special services.

My 10 yo ds has really been struggling in language arts since I pulled him out of public school after his second grade year. He started reading at 3, always took tons of AR tests and did well on them, could spell like a champ and no on eat the ps ever gave us cause for concern. It seemed like the moment I got him home two years ago, language arts has been a huge struggle. He actually seems to be going backwards in reading comprehension, writing and spelling.

I have a woman at our church who is an LD teacher in the public school system and does the Woodcock-Johnson testing and evals for a lot of the homeschoolers that go to the church. She is willing to test him in mid-March.

Should I just have my son meet with the woman at our church and have him tested and evaluated by her or should I go back to Neuropsych to the same place my daughter did? Will the WJ test give me enough information about ds's backwards slide and specific problems with spelling, letter reversal, reading comprehension and writing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Jen

Do the WJ and see what you get. Maybe it'll give you enough info, or maybe you'll decide to go ahead with neuropsych.

It's possible he did have problems in ps, but not enough for them to speak up.

My son had an IEP in school, received speech, occupational therapy, a pull out for reading, a whole bunch of accommodations, and the school still tried to say that he was doing fine! Instead of pulling him for math, they gave him a calculator. I pulled him at the end of first grade.

I vote for the neuropsych, as a lot of the value is in the analysis of subtest scores and so forth. (That doesn't mean you need to see the same neuropsych as your dd saw several years ago - look around for another one or an ed psych who specializes in LDs.) Plus, unless the woman at church is a psych of some sort, she is not qualified to diagnose anything.

Will the WJ test give me enough information about ds's backwards slide and specific problems with spelling, letter reversal, reading comprehension and writing?

AFAIK, no. Aside from the possibility of dyslexia, which would involve additional testing, for these symptoms I would absolutely want to rule out developmental vision issues with a covd optometrist.