Menu

How much reading? Can you look at a typical day's history schedule?

BeckyFL

Ok... I have finished one semester of history planning (hours and hours of work!). Can someone tell me if you think that the reading is too much for 6th grade. We are also reading (SL 5) for science. I have allowed 1 1/2 hours for history each day because it includes so much reading. Any thoughts?

Here is a typical day I've scheduled...

2 Chapters of A History of US

Shades of Gray pages 45-82 (haven't looked at chapters yet, but shooting for about that many pages)

The Boy's War 1-20

Learning Through History magazine article Antietam A Day the Earth Turned Red

Is that doable?

It sounds more like a couple days of work, for my 5th grader last year, and she's an avid reader, we did about

5- 10 pages of History Spine ( depending on how much info was on each page)

30 pages of History literature ( to be done independently)

Then if we had another book, I would only assign about 5 pages?

is she doing all of this independently? or are you reading some aloud?

But so much depends on how well your child reads or likes to read? and whether your doing it aloud together?

kim

Ok... I have finished one semester of history planning (hours and hours of work!). Can someone tell me if you think that the reading is too much for 6th grade. We are also reading (SL 5) for science. I have allowed 1 1/2 hours for history each day because it includes so much reading. Any thoughts?

Here is a typical day I've scheduled...

2 Chapters of A History of US

Shades of Gray pages 45-82 (haven't looked at chapters yet, but shooting for about that many pages)

The Boy's War 1-20

Learning Through History magazine article Antietam A Day the Earth Turned Red

Is that doable?

When I am unsure, I read it myself and time how long it takes me. To me, it looks like too much.

Holly

I have learned that lesson. Read a day's worth of work. How long does it take you to read it - remember reading aloud is slower. Were you able to remember what you read at the end? Did the stories get muddled together? Did something get lost? If you read too much at one time of the non-fiction stuff it really gets lost. Nothing beats the experience of doing the lessons yourself.