Menu

Independance with HOD

joyfulhomeschooler

I am pretty sure that we are going to stick with HOD for the long haul and will be starting preparing next school year. I know that each year the child becomes more independant and does more and more of the history and science readings on their own. So my question is, how do you still manage to learn along with them? I really enjoy us all reading and learning together.... I didn't pay much attention in school and am having so much fun learning now with my kiddos.

I have one in CTC this year and have been enjoying the independence and haven't felt like I'm missing out on too much. In a perfect world, I would read everything ahead or along with but, alas, I don't live in that world. What I've insisted on with my ds, both for his accountability and my information, is that whenever he enters anything in his notebook, I have to read it before he considers it finished. So on copywork day, I read over what he's copied, check it for accuracy and use that opportunity to talk a bit about the chapter. On timeline day, I look at the entries and ask him a few general questions to make sure he's learned something. Usually this happens very naturally and I just realized recently that this rule is allowing me to "keep up" on what he's learning. On research day, we, of course, discuss the questions together and on writing day, he meets with me to discuss the rough draft and the guidelines.

So, he's independent, but I'm still able to keep up with what he's learning just by checking that notebook. We do the same thing in science and independent history boxes, anything that gets put into a notebook is first inspected by me.

I had this issue, but I decided to realize that just because it says independent, doesn't mean it has to be so. :) With that said, I only have one kid.

But I think you can verify and know through his written summaries if he has everything there. Just don't stop inspecting.