Menu

Anyone in the Tucson, AZ area?

Susann

I don't live in Tucson but my in-laws are there so we've been to visit several times.

There's an ostrich farm between there and Phoenix that looks interesting. http://www.arizonabe...ho-arizona.html We tried to go last June but they weren't open when we went by and saw them. We'll plan it into our next trip.

the Grand Canyon is too far away but she might want to look at what would be involved to do it while in the area depending on her time constraints. I know ONE of these years, when my kids are older, I want to tie it into a trip to the inlaws because it just kills me to be so close and unable to see it.

There's an observatory in the area.

Kitt Peak http://www.noao.edu/kpno/

San Zavier delBac Mission http://www.sanxaviermission.org/

There are some Botanical Gardens in Tucson (And Phoenix). But we tried going last June and it was too hot :(

The Titan Missile Museum was AWESOME. http://www.titanmissilemuseum.org/ Though perhaps more so for me because I remember when the USSR was a real threat and hearing the stories about missiles that were buried, ready to retaliate automatically if we were hit by nuclear bombs.

We also went on a tour of a mining operation. i'm trying to find a link to the one we went on because it was interesting and not something I'd done anywhere else.

I went to college in Tucson. It is going to be scathingly hot there when your DD is doing her internship. During the summer, I had to slather on sunscreen and walk under a parasol so I wouldn't fry. As for what to do in Tucson:

take a hike in Sabino Canyon

visit the Pima Air and Space Museum

visit the Sonora Desert Museum

I also second a trip down to Bisbee. Bisbee is an awesome little town! I used to go there all of the time - good food, haunted hotel, neat shops selling goods by local artists. Tombstone is also in that general area.

That's an awfully hot time of year to be there! I've visited a couple times and we're planning our first trip to Arizona with the kids for this fall. Where we have been before, and are planning to go in the Tucson area, time permitting:

Kartchner Caverns (a-ma-zing! Not to be missed. And not hot in the summer.)

Bisbee (mining museums...both an underground historical tour and a modern pit mine)

Sonora Desert Museum

Casa Grande Ruins

Pima Air and Space Museum

Titan Missile Museum

Kitt Peak

Biosphere 2

On our way there, if we have enough time, we'll also visit:

Sedona

Montezuma's Castle and/or Walnut Canyon cliff dwellings

Sunset Crater Volcano

Meteor Crater

Grand Canyon (DH wants to hike it, so the kids and I will be hanging around northern Az for a day or two)

Organ Pipe Cactus NM

We will probably have to weed this list down a bit. I just find the whole state fascinating. And SO different from my usual sopping-wet environs.

That's an awfully hot time of year to be there! I've visited a couple times and we're planning our first trip to Arizona with the kids for this fall. Where we have been before, and are planning to go in the Tucson area, time permitting:

Kartchner Caverns (a-ma-zing! Not to be missed. And not hot in the summer.)

Bisbee (mining museums...both an underground historical tour and a modern pit mine)

Sonora Desert Museum

Casa Grande Ruins

Pima Air and Space Museum

Titan Missile Museum

Kitt Peak

Biosphere 2

Sedona

Sunset Crater Volcano

Meteor Crater

Grand Canyon (DH wants to hike it, so the kids and I will be hanging around northern Az for a day or two)

Organ Pipe Cactus NM

We will probably have to weed this list down a bit. I just find the whole state fascinating. And SO different from my usual sopping-wet environs.

must eat at the Bisbee Breakfast Club as well when you visit; take photos and share them with me. Preferably, the california omelet :drool5: The above quoted is a great list of to do's... a lot of ground to cover, though!

Sedona

Sunset Crater Volcano

Meteor Crater

Organ Pipe Cactus NM

When my kids were the age of yours, they loved the Museum of Northern Arizona in Flagstaff. Something else for your list! ;)

http://www.musnaz.org

Thanks for the suggestions-will pass them along to her. I think the heat will probably hit her hard-she spent last summer in Germany and really only hit heat in Italy.

LOL! It'll be a shocker for her! 90* at midnight...thinking 85* is nice and cool...If she has fair skin, I strongly recommend her using an umbrella/parasol. And if she's renting a place, make sure it has a/c. My junky apt only had a swamp cooler, and it's not near enough.

I hope she has fun. I loved living there! (even w/the junky apt)