Menu

Difference between Ill. Guide to Home Chem Experiements & the free lab manuals with his kits?

I see he sells two chemistry kits -- an "honors" chemistry kit and a regular chemistry kit. The lab manuals for both are free downloads with instructions for each lab covered in the kit. So for a first year high school chemistry course, what would the benefit of having the actual text be? I know the text covers lots more experiments covering two full years of high school chem. So what else is different?

Dd very much wants to use the Apologia text, but wants more lab work. From the TOC, I'm sure I could corrolate labs to the Apologia modules somehow. But do I use the Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments or just the lab manual download?

TIA,

Monica

Monica,

This is a snippet of what I posted on the High School Chemistry thread:

*The Home Scientist sells a Honours Chem Lab kit with lab manual that can be correlated to many different chem programs (the lab manual is free to download even if you don't purchase the kit)

http://www.thehomescientist.com/kits/CK01/ck01-main.html

He also sells a simplified and less expensive version of the kit meant for Standard (or Regular) Chemistry which also has a free, downloadable lab manual:

http://www.thehomescientist.com/kits/CK01B/ck01b-main.html

NOTE: The free lab manual that comes with this kit is NOT the same as the Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments (by the same author). This kit (and the free lab manual) will give a lab component for a first-year high school chemistry course. The Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments (which can be purchased through Amazon) is meant to give the equivalent of the lab component for a two-year high school chemistry course and would require more equipment and chemicals than are included in this kit.

Is your dd using the regular Apologia text or the advanced one? If she's using the regular one but wanted more labs, you could probably get the honours kit from The Home Scientist and just use his free downloadable manual. The Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments that the author sells on Amazon is not actually meant to be used with either one of the kits he sells - you would need to buy more equipment to do the labs in that book. So... He sells one kit (plus free manual) for reg chem, one kit (plus different free manual) for honours chem, and then he sells the Illustrated Guide that would require you to put together your own equipment and the labs are more along the lines of an AP Chem course or a first year college chem.

Hope that helps. :)

Connie did a terrific job of explaining that. I would just add that in the Illustrated Guide, there are three paths given, basic first year chem, honors first year chem and AP chem. You don't have to follow his suggestions, but they are there. I haven't looked at the kits, but I would assume the first path is what is offered in the first kit. I'm not sure if the second kit is the Honors path or the AP path. Anyway, I just thought I would point out you can easily follow those same paths or choose the labs your child is more interested in without doing the whole book.

Is there a discrepancy between the *kit* and the online free and the printed for the Illustrated Guide to Biology as well??

It doesn't look like it but I don't have the bought version of the guide to compare. From everything he says on his website, they look to be the same manual and so both should work with the kit.

Anyone have both in hand to compare?