Menu

Mosdos - Coral...what is needed?

5LittleMonkeys

I'm looking at getting this for dd10 for next year. This is an expensive set and I don't want to pay for material that isn't really needed. I have a feeling the TM would be necessary (correct me if I'm wrong), but what about the student workbook? Is this busy work or material integral to the program?

Also, while I have the attention of those who have used this program, could you tell me if you know the return policy of Mosdos Press? I can call but thought if you already knew it would save me a phone call.

Thanks!

Thanks VidaWinter. I've heard before that the TM is almost too overwhelming.

Mosdos offers review copies to schools but not to homeschoolers (one mark against them). I called and asked what type of review material they provide to homeschoolers and she directed me to the pages on the website. I explained that since this was an expensive investment I'd rather have more than just a page or two per book to look over...she seemed befuddled that the website samples weren't enough. :confused1: She said she would have to speak with her technical person to see if they could e-mail me additional pages from the books. We will see.

Their return policy is that you can return products in good condition within 60 days minus a 5% fee.

I was just e-mailed by someone at the company, and they are sending me a Teacher Edition Sampler and a catalog by snail mail. Not sure how much material is in the sampler. I will update this thread when I get it in case anyone else is interested in if requesting the material is worth it or not.

I'm also interested, but agree, the samples just aren't enough! Perhaps if enough of us email them they'll put some more up

Stephanie

I don't think it would hurt at all for them to hear from the homeschooling community. They offer complete texts to public and private school teachers as long as a credit card number is given as a guarantee of getting the material sent back within 60 days. If they aren't returned within the allotted time then your credit card is charged. I wouldn't have a problem with that if it meant I could review all the material before buying it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just coming back to update regarding review material from Mosdos. I received a good size sample of the TM for the Coral level. The front of the booklet contains a break down of each unit. So, for this level there are 6 units.

On each "unit" page you see:

• a list of each selection from that unit with it's page number
  • what genre the selection is and a short synopsis highlighting how it ties in with the theme for the whole unit (Courage, Growing, Aiming High...)
  • an "eyes on" section which explains what literary elements are to be covered for the selection
  • a short explanation of how the selection highlights the literary element to be covered
  • a "Language Alert" notification for each selection defining what LA concept will be taught (using then or than, word etymology, or using lie, lay or lain were the only three "alerts" for this book)
  • which workbook pages correspond to the selection and whether the pages are vocabulary, comprehension, or graphic organizer exercises

Then pages 14-101 contain two short stories, a historical fiction and a realistic fiction selection, in addition to 4 poetry selections. These pages show exactly how they are in the full TM.

I would love to have the whole TM in my hand to review, but this is a very good sample and gives enough information to be able to determine how the TM might benefit you (or not).

We did Ruby in 4th and I quite liked having the TM, even if it is really pricey. The workbook turned each story into a lot of work and sucked the life out of the program when I tried to do too many. It was a bit of a learning curve. ;). We did do most of it orally (the TM, not the workbook) but I did find value in some if the worksheets and she completed those.

How much LA is in there?

I'm looking at Ruby or Coral for my Special Needs daughter - who reads about at 5th grade, but the rest of her is wayyyy lower. I'm thinking that the Ruby would be a better fit for her. She did BJU 2nd reading, then dumped into PS for 2 years. They completely floundered around with her until we pulled her out this year. I think her reading book was 7th grade (she was in 6th), but they attempted to dumb it down.

She is capable of so much more - I don't want to get bogged down with her either, but this looks like something she could handle.

I really would like samples of the workbook pages for the stories they have posted. The only samples I found where of the 8th grade materials - which thankfully they were 8th grade because that wasn't going to work for her!

Tracy- hopefully someone that's used it can chime in and tell you for sure, but based on what I've seen in the TM sample I spoke about up-thread there is no grammar/punctuation included. As I mentioned earlier, in the whole Coral TM there were only three references to language skills being discussed and those were usage type concepts. I do know that it includes vocabulary, but I don't know how extensive it is.

If you don't get a response I would pm one of the posters that mentioned having used it...or I can tell you next week sometime when my books get delivered. :)

Also, if you call them and tell them what samples you'd like to see they "might" be able to help you out.

How much LA is in there?

I'm looking at Ruby or Coral for my Special Needs daughter - who reads about at 5th grade, but the rest of her is wayyyy lower. I'm thinking that the Ruby would be a better fit for her. She did BJU 2nd reading, then dumped into PS for 2 years. They completely floundered around with her until we pulled her out this year. I think her reading book was 7th grade (she was in 6th), but they attempted to dumb it down.

She is capable of so much more - I don't want to get bogged down with her either, but this looks like something she could handle.

I really would like samples of the workbook pages for the stories they have posted. The only samples I found where of the 8th grade materials - which thankfully they were 8th grade because that wasn't going to work for her!

I can try and help you with this although it has been 2 years since we used it so I will have to go back and look things up. What stories do they have posted? I can probably post a picture or two, I'd imagine? Or PM you at least. Tell me which stories you can see and I'll get the worksheet pages to you.

I don't remember there being any LA other than vocabulary and things related to literary themes. There may have been a few writing assignments here and there (will have to double check, and those would have been in the workbook, I believe) but I don't think there was any grammar work at all. I'll have to go back and look at it later today and will try to remember to check back in to this thread either tonight or tomorrow.

PM me if I forget. :)