Menu

Favorite American History/Government?

It has come to my attention over the last couple of weeks that DS really needs some American history and civics type lessons. I don't want anything too complicated, but I also want something deeper and more engaging than a workbook like the Evan Moor geography we are using.

He has a high level of comprehension, is a fluent but slow reader, and writing is our nemesis. He does however seem to retain better when he at least writes a little bit.

I am considering Elemental History, but adding in meatier reading selections and documentaries. If I could find something that was very similar but at a higher level I would be super happy!!

This is for a rising 6th grader BTW.

Have you looked at History of US? We didn't use it until high school, but it seemed to read at an easier level. It is highly engaging, filled with lots of little stories and fascinating historical tidbits. My kids absolutely loved it. You could have him just slowly start reading through it, supplementing with a relevant historical film now and then. If you want to add some writing assignments, you can. I think I had one of my children just write down 6 things they learned or found especially interesting after each chapter.

We are using this right now as a break from SOTW. My girls are 7 and 9, and we will probably do more than a lesson a week, depending on the topic. It's actually a full-year curriculum, but it looks like you could honestly go through it faster than that if you wanted.

We're only a couple lessons in, but so far they seem to be enjoying it. We just went to Barnes & Noble last night and picked up Who Was Ferdinand Magellan? and Who Was Queen Elizabeth? to supplement the first couple lessons. (Those books are Buy 2, Get the 3rd Free right now!!!)

Good luck finding something!