Menu

Curriculum choices

Tylianna

So, I'm in the market for new curriculum...

I may switch up, or go to a completely new route.

I have a 3rd, 4th, and 6th grader. Going into 4th, 5th and 7th at the beginning of the school year

We use:

Math - Horizons

History - SOTW

LA - FLL, WWE, Sequential Spelling, Spectrum Vocab, ARFH, for the youngest I am using OPGTR and AAS

Science - Sonlight

Reading - Sonlight

Bible - I use online and Bible reading

(And others for electives, etc)

I was considering the AOP computer based, to give each girl their "own" curriculum, but the reviews made me think, and I really want to keep the Science, History and math, so that leaves the LA portion and Bible. So, not worth it?

I thought about going back to pure Sonlight, but I really like SOTW, and my girls are too spread out to integrate them all into one core. My youngest is struggling with reading. We are currently using Sonlight Science 2.

I am trying to get away from FLL and WWE, since DH does not like them. He is not into LA, and he does pick up teaching from time to time.

I am also trying to streamline my homeschooling, since we are more laid back and need something we can jump into. I also looked into the Weaver, but I can't find any good resources about it.

KEEP:

Horizons Math (unless I am convinced, otherwise lol)

SOTW (unless I switch to another program that is integrated)

ARFH

Sonlight Reading

I was browsing through other threads and saw the Cathy Duffy recommendations. Someone mentioned that everyone here would be able to make better recommendations, so here you go ;)

Thank you!!!

I have used Weaver and have a volume 1 I am willing to sell ya. Haha! What questions do you have about it? You would need to add your own Math and Phonics. It comes with its own language arts curriculum called Wisdom Words with master copies for manipulatives and activities that are age appropriate. If you have a good library in your area and dont mind getting books for history and science it is great.

I have used Weaver and have a volume 1 I am willing to sell ya. Haha! What questions do you have about it? You would need to add your own Math and Phonics. It comes with its own language arts curriculum called Wisdom Words with master copies for manipulatives and activities that are age appropriate. If you have a good library in your area and dont mind getting books for history and science it is great.

Do they have suggestions on books for the History and Science? Also, did you like it? Why are you not using it anymore?

I like the unit study approach, but I don't want to give up my current History.

Do they have suggestions on books for the History and Science? Also, did you like it? Why are you not using it anymore?

I like the unit study approach, but I don't want to give up my current History.

if you are going to use your own history, I believe it isnt worth using Weaver then. It is a unit study that revolves around the history and science. I chose to not use it because I dont have a good library here presently. One unit was hard for me. It recommends time lines amd instructed me to teach the civil war through books read. I personally like having a spine such as SOTW to give me the basic information taught. Weaver gives you multiple activities and allows you to cater the amount of depth you teach a topic. I just wasnt comfortable with deciding that depth. There is a facebook page and they will email you a huge sample that is usable to tey it out!

Anyone use G.U.M. Drops? It seems too easy and fun to work. :)

I don't have my book with me,but I'm pretty sure G.U.M. Was the recommended grammar program in the first edition of TWTM.

No other recommendations, except R&S got the job done here. Have you looked at LOE? It seems to get good recommendations here lately.

if you are going to use your own history, I believe it isnt worth using Weaver then. It is a unit study that revolves around the history and science. I chose to not use it because I dont have a good library here presently. One unit was hard for me. It recommends time lines amd instructed me to teach the civil war through books read. I personally like having a spine such as SOTW to give me the basic information taught. Weaver gives you multiple activities and allows you to cater the amount of depth you teach a topic. I just wasnt comfortable with deciding that depth. There is a facebook page and they will email you a huge sample that is usable to tey it out!

I would have given up SOTW if I chose Weaver. I'm not quite sure if it is the right fit. I do like picking up a subject and doing it, so units would not be good for me. I will look up the samples on Facebook, though! Thanks

I don't have my book with me,but I'm pretty sure G.U.M. Was the recommended grammar program in the first edition of TWTM.

No other recommendations, except R&S got the job done here. Have you looked at LOE? It seems to get good recommendations here lately.

I'm looking that up, now. I am watching a YouTube video. That, too, looks interesting!

For ME, the best thing I ever did was adopt the ORIGINAL hardcover Doubleday What Your _ Grader Needs to Know series grades 1-6 from the early 1990s. I am not talking about the new revised series.

If teaching more than one grade level, I combine the content subjects, but go over some of the 3R subjects individually. I also have other curricula for the 3Rs. NtK is my my safety net. I stopped hopping. I married it and for better and worse am sticking to it. It is just so restful to STOP looking at all the other content curricula. I'm still tweaking and hopping with the 3Rs but at least the content is steady.

I don't care what grade level the books say. I hop around as necessary. The grade levels don't match up so well with current standards anyway, like the revised series does. The original series is a LOGICAL and ORDERLY and COMPLETE survey of just about everything a PERSON needs to know to get along in life. NtK is my compass. I'm very OCD. I can only trust and rest in series written by someone as OCD as I am. I also adore Samuel Blumenfeld's How to Tutor for it's OCD friendly presentation.

For ME, the best thing I ever did was adopt the ORIGINAL hardcover Doubleday What Your _ Grader Needs to Know series grades 1-6 from the early 1990s. I am not talking about the new revised series.

If teaching more than one grade level, I combine the content subjects, but go over some of the 3R subjects individually. I also have other curricula for the 3Rs. NtK is my my safety net. I stopped hopping. I married it and for better and worse am sticking to it. It is just so restful to STOP looking at all the other content curricula. I'm still tweaking and hopping with the 3Rs but at least the content is steady.

I don't care what grade level the books say. I hop around as necessary. The grade levels don't match up so well with current standards anyway, like the revised series does. The original series is a LOGICAL and ORDERLY and COMPLETE survey of just about everything a PERSON needs to know to get along in life. NtK is my compass. I'm very OCD. I can only trust and rest in series written by someone as OCD as I am. I also adore Samuel Blumenfeld's How to Tutor for it's OCD friendly presentation.

I love your idea of sticking to a curriculum. As soon as I find one that we actually all like and use I will stick to it. Like horizons math. I doubt I will ever stop using that. I don't even look at other math. I will make a run to my library and look for that series.

Wel, they have it, so a library run is in order. They don't have the third grade in the early 90's, but that is my youngest and that grade is almost done. Thanks!