Menu

Highest paying 2 & 4 year degrees

MSN has this link to the highest paying 2 year and 4 year degrees (as per the census bureau) for those who are interested in seeing what they are:

http://msn.careerbui...=JS_3269_advice

For the record, I'm well aware that "success" and "highest income" are not synonyms. ;)

"Degree in" and "employed" are not synonyms, either. Not that I am arguing against training one's mind. I just think that if one is going for one of these degrees solely because one wants the salary listed in this article, one needs to take into account the availability of future jobs.

Nan

The given numbers are not the starting pay though. We participated in the census bureau survey including the detailed 2nd round and we were not ask the starting pay, just the current income.

There are also some overlap in the jobs posted on that page. A petroleum engineer is likely to have a Bachelor in Chemical Engineering. A computer hardware engineer or a software developer is likely to have a Bachelor in Electrical and Electronics Engineering. The top 10 jobs in the degree section are all STEM fields too.

In case anyone is curious, saw this article on best paid interns the other day http://www.businessi...ech-2013-1?op=1

The given numbers are not the starting pay though. We participated in the census bureau survey including the detailed 2nd round and we were not ask the starting pay, just the current income.

There are also some overlap in the jobs posted on that page. A petroleum engineer is likely to have a Bachelor in Chemical Engineering. A computer hardware engineer or a software developer is likely to have a Bachelor in Electrical and Electronics Engineering. The top 10 jobs in the degree section are all STEM fields too.

In case anyone is curious, saw this article on best paid interns the other day http://www.businessi...ech-2013-1?op=1

It is interesting that the best paid interns are all for tech companies.

"Degree in" and "employed" are not synonyms, either. Not that I am arguing against training one's mind. I just think that if one is going for one of these degrees solely because one wants the salary listed in this article, one needs to take into account the availability of future jobs.

Nan

:iagree: There are also many personality issues that come into play, and of course, location of these jobs. I know people who have these desirable degrees, but sure don't have the personality to keep a job. They started several... but now, with their job history, they can barely land a minimum wage dead end job. It's not all about the piece of paper. That can be just one component.

But this is true of all the jobs out there. It's still good to know, so the newly minted degree holder doesn't necessarily have stars in their eyes when looking for that first job.

I don't know if anyone watched a Jan 60 Minutes (TV) episode on automation/jobs and the future. I just streamed that from the net for a class today. It wasn't news to me, but just confirmed what I already knew - however, it WAS news to many of the kids in my class. Jobs for those without some sort of needed specialization are going to be few and far between. That is the "new normal."

I just located the video if anyone is interested. It's "March of the Machines" on this page:

http://www.cbsnews.com/60-minutes/

I don't know if anyone watched a Jan 60 Minutes (TV) episode on automation/jobs and the future. I just streamed that from the net for a class today. It wasn't news to me, but just confirmed what I already knew - however, it WAS news to many of the kids in my class.

I watched that episode but it wasn't news to me either. I grew up in the era where Japan was already automating most of its manufacturing. My boys went to the Jelly Belly Factory tour and they could see how few workers there are to produce that high volume of Jelly Belly. Also at Legoland, there is a model of how Lego bricks are manufactured. It is mostly automated.