Menu

Low outgassing mattress? Is Greenguard certification good?

Spryte

We need to replace several mattresses, and because of DS's health issues we have to get something that is not going to outgas lots of VOCs (among other things).

Of course, we'd like to get organic, wool... all the good stuff... But the prices are prohibitive, and we need something now. DS's doc is willing to write a letter stating that he needs a mattress with no fire retardants, but again, having one specially made is very expensive. And our DS tends to play musical beds at night, and often ends up in ours, so we'd need to replace his and ours with a custom mattress. Not in the budget.

Anyone with tips on finding a low (or no) outgassing mattress?

Our thought right now is to get a Greenguard certified Sopora mattress - twin for DS. But I feel like I'm missing something. How thorough is Greenguard certification? I've read and read, but most of what I've found has been from Greenguard's website, so I'm not seeing the cons, just the pros.

Any tips would be appreciated!

I don't know about out gassing beyond their using very strict German standards, but IKEA mattresses have been free of brominated flame retardants for at least a decade.

I have purchased several mattresses from White Lotus. They are an online company. Shipping is free. They have both green and organic mattresses in cotton, wool, or a blend. Also mattresses with a "green" foam insert. The green options don't seem to be more expensive than a good quality mattress from a department store. They also sell pillows and futon mattresses. They occasionally have 25% off sales that they announce on Facebook and probably other social media.

www.whitelotus.net

Oh wow, now I'm stuck on the White Lotus site... :) Their prices really are about the same as department stores, and I like the free shipping. I'm a hold out on social media, but I'll look for coupons online. Thanks for that link.

Oh, and it looks easy enough for our doc to send a Rx for no flame retardant.

Ikea is appealing for the instant factor... of course. And who doesn't love an Ikea outing??

Off to ponder more...

Thanks so much for the ideas!

I have purchased several mattresses from White Lotus. They are an online company. Shipping is free. They have both green and organic mattresses in cotton, wool, or a blend. Also mattresses with a "green" foam insert. The green options don't seem to be more expensive than a good quality mattress from a department store. They also sell pillows and futon mattresses. They occasionally have 25% off sales that they announce on Facebook and probably other social media.

www.whitelotus.net

Oh, one more question - are they comfy? And which did you buy? I am thinking cotton or cotton and wool. We want to avoid latex, as kiddo is allergic.

We did get the wool/cotton combo mattress for both kids. I think the website says the wool makes the mattresses fire resistant, although don't quote me on that. One thing I have read about their mattresses, and I can attest to it with a loft bed (both kids have a loft bed from IKEA), is you have to have a good support underneath the mattress or it will sag. We put extra wood supports along the bottom of the frame and also put a foam pad underneath the mattress to keep it from sagging. If you are putting the mattress on an already existing box spring that shouldn't be a problem. We also purchased the organic padded mattress covers.

Next time they have a sale I'll be purchasing a futon mattress for our basement futon. They really are great quality and I loved the fact that the mattress smelled natural rather than like chemicals.

Edited to add: sorry, I just realized you are avoiding latex!

---------------------

My daughter has an IKea latex blend (85% natural, 15 synthetic), but it wasn't inexpensive. For less money, we just got DS2 a 100% natural latex mattress from Sleep EZ, and it was a really good experience. DH and I have a pricier latex mattress for our room.

I thought the Sleep EZ prices were good, and for less money than an Ikea latex bed you can get 100% natural latex vs. a blend. We did all dunlop.