Menu

Singapore 6...HIG?

genny

I went ahead and bought in advance up to 5. I couldn't seem to find the HIG for level 6 (standards edition). Is there a HIG?

I'm also curious to know what people use after 6. Can anyone give me a quick list of the most popular/used?

TIA!

There is no HIG for level 6 Standards, and I don't think there is one planned, IIRC. I'm skipping 6 and going to prealgebra, but I have a mathy kid who doesn't need to spend 3 years on prealgebra topics.

Some good prealgebra recommendations are here:

http://www.mathmammoth.com/complete/prealgebra.php

And algebra are here:

http://www.mathmammoth.com/complete/algebra_1.php

There are more than that, of course, but I like Maria Miller's list. :)

There is no HIG for level 6 Standards, and I don't think there is one planned, IIRC.

Last I saw on the Singapore Math forums, Jenny said she doesn't have plans for a HiG for 6 Standards.

We're moving on after 5B. Either AoPS Prealg/alg or more with Elements of Mathematics.

We just used the TG for level 6, although I really preferred the HIGs. The TGs were fine, but not great. Currently, I have one dd in 5B and one in Singapore's Discovering Mathematics 7A. We have really enjoyed the transition to 7A -- it's a nice progression from level 6. I think it would be doable to go from 5B to 7A, but you might find it's a tad slower going. The amount of work and challenge (esp. in the workbook) is ramped up from the primary level. I feel that going through level 6 was good preparation for level 7, and wouldn't want to skip 6. (We did the stds edition, too.) HTH.

No, unfortunately there are no plans for doing the HIG. I don't know why, but perhaps its because they are currently working on getting all the levels of the Common Core edition of Discovering Mathematics out on schedule. They've only just released 7B, and still have yet to release 8A. Also, I think that they figure a number of California schools only use the books through level 5 anyway, so many homeschooling families using the standards edition will switch in 6th as well? No idea. It's too bad, really, but there it is.