Menu

My food budget went down again :(

amo_mea_filiis.

I just cook the steel cut oatmeal according to the directions on the box. Once it is cooked but still hot I mix in a scrambled egg whisked with some almond milk, a spoonful of nut butter and some honey or truvia. You could also cook raisins in it to sweeten the mixture.

Once it isn't burning hot I put it into wide mouth jars or tupperware and stick it in the fridge. Then I just pull it out, add milk of whatever kind to the jar and eat.

I have added all sorts of things like chopped apples, pumpkin puree, cinnamon, nutmeg, chopped nuts, bananas, and this week I might try adding some Quinoa for more protein.

You can cook it in the crockpot too, but I learned that it is the only time I feel like those cooking bags are worth it....it tends to crisp and stick like crazy!!

Thanks for all the ideas!

After food shopping last night i realized that it really is ds's pickiness making this harder. This will be my number one goal with the behaviorist. If she doesn't get somewhere with him quickly, the Hershey feeding clinic is only scheduling 2 weeks out, and the head of the program is also a board certified behavior analyst and president of the PA ABA association. Ds is not a difficult food case. There's no gagging, no consistent issues with textures, no problems with colors, etc. He just refuses new foods and the rare time he gains a food, he drops another.

I've done well with less, but that was in NY with choices of stores. I'll see if Weiss has any sales better than walmart's prices.

I don't pay for my cell phone so no expense there. Our home phone and internet are basic. Car insurance is not due until next moth, and liheap just posted. We should be good, i just have to pay attention to what we do.

Prego (sp?) sauce is only $1.88. I don't think i can do better than that without growing my own tomatoes which is not an option here. Bread (i caved for the cheap stuff to get more) is only $.98. I'd like to figure out if homemade is comparable.

I really, really need to learn how to can stuff. Applesauce without corn syrup is crazy expensive. Canned fruits do not come without syrup over here.

Check Hunt's spag sauce--it's usually about $1. Store brand plain applesauce is good and cheap-ish. My dc prefer the store brand to the name brand. Also, check your store brand breads. Ours has gone to hfcs-free and is still lower price than the name brands.

:grouphug:

Edited: just went to the store and found Hunts has hfcs.

Were a family of 3 here (although feeding my mom this month too) and were also GF/DF. I do drive 45 minutes into the city at least once a month for shopping because its worth it. I make a day of it and hit the Mexican markets, Winco, bulk stores like Smart & Final. We don't eat processed foods really, the only stuff we get is like canned beans or refried beans for nights were out of fresh and those crunchy taco shells lol. Your crockpot is a very useful thing and saves lots of time. Get an upright freezer, I got mine off craigslist for $100. They are worth every penny!

Anyway, cook for you and your other child. Your son can eat something else, don't let him dictate family meals for everyone, BTDT and my budget can't support that.