Menu

S/O Order of Operations and Math symbols

Has anyone else had issues with the transition from x being used as the multiplications symbol and then changed to the dot in higher level texts as "x" becomes the most used algebra variable?

This tripped up a lot of people in my ps years and I don't understand why math texts and teachers do it this way when it seems simpler to me to have been consistent from the start with what symbol is what.

I was taught way back in the 80s to write a cursive X when using it as a variable. Older did not have a problem when he switch from x to the dot for multiplication in the AOPS pre-algebra textbook.

If you look at a scientific calculator, the x is for the multiplication key while the x is also use for the exponent, squared, cubed and other keys. The dot would be the decimal point.

Are you thinking of replacing x with the dot for elementary math? Maybe they are worried about confusing the kids with multiplication and decimals in the elementary math level.

I was taught way back in the 80s to write a cursive X when using it as a variable. Older did not have a problem when he switch from x to the dot for multiplication in the AOPS pre-algebra textbook.

If you look at a scientific calculator, the x is for the multiplication key while the x is also use for the exponent, squared, cubed and other keys. The dot would be the decimal point.

Are you thinking of replacing x with the dot for elementary math? Maybe they are worried about confusing the kids with multiplication and decimals in the elementary math level.

That's something I didn't think of, thanks for mentioning it. The absence of a leading zero is also something that happens a bit randomly for my taste and I can see where it could confuse kids who don't notice the relative positioning and just see the shape.

Myself, I don't notice much difference between a cursive and manuscript x unless the person writing has really flowery handwriting or a textbook is using italics for emphasis.

The shape of the x for calculator buttons looks (to me) to be stretched horizontally to distinguish it from the more cursive looking x on the x2 button. I've never seen a calculator from overseas so I'm not sure if they all use the same symbols. The comment that led me to start this was about somewhere they used a single dot for multiplication and a colon for division (similar to how I remember learning ratios).

You won't find any argument here. I would much prefer to just use parentheses or dots for multiplication.

I've had my son not use the x because of variables later.

He's used to seeing the dot, although you really don't use it much - you use parentheses.

We still use the x for scientific notation (and there I think it makes more sense than the dot), but my poor son has heard my regular diatribes about problems with notation.

I also see students get really confused with placement of parentheses.

And the arguments over why -3^2 isn't the same as (-3)^2.... :angry:

I really want math teachers to know their freakin' math.

Heard another "my teacher said" today with wrong stuff.

Sigh.