Menu

How much writing for a 6 yr old boy?

scootiepie

My son (6 almost 7) really hates to do anything with writing. I do make him write new words he is learning, plus a sentence or two, and his math problems.

That is pretty much it. I don't know if that is considered a lot but it is strenuous for him. Just wondering what other first grade boys are doing.

Not a boy ... but that's about all my 6.5 year old girl writes.

Writing is laborious for her, as well.

Today her writing was:

her name, 2x (handwriting practice)

the letters A-H, 2x (handwriting practice)

math answers

underlining some things in her grammar book

(sometimes her grammar book has her write 1-3 sentences, pretty short)

That's similar to what my oldest did in first grade. I just gradually worked up to more. At the end of 2nd grade, he could copy about 6 sentences in a sitting. This year in 3rd, he can write a paragraph, plus he is writing more in most subjects - fairly easily.

So if you are at your son's limit right now, that's fine. Just gradually increase that limit over the next couple years. You'll probably (hopefully) see a jump in skills one day, closer to 3rd or 4th grade.

Also, make sure he's seated with table at a proper height (so his forearm isn't pointing UP to write). And I also found that giving my son done white board work helped him write more in a day, because white board is easier. So keep up the pencil work, but add a bit more on the white board, then as pencil gets easier, increase that, etc.

DS6 and DD7 have quite a bit of writing. Today, for example, they chose three out of six sentences to copy from Spectrum Language Arts. They had to copy the incorrectly written sentence, using proper punctuation and capitalization, and choosing the correct pronoun. They also had a scripture verse to copy, plus math work.

Tuesdays and Thursdays, they have at least WWE copywork (both sentences). They often have language arts practice as well, which usually involves at least three sentences.

Wednesdays, they copy their spelling words, both in capital letters and in lowercase letters. There is a lesson from First Language Arts, and that sometimes requires writing. Friday is spelling test day. They'll have about five dictated sentences (depending on their attention) as well as their spelling words. Often, there's a Language Arts worksheet that requires copying sentences.

They've worked up to this throughout this past fall and winter. The only issue they really have with it is when they're rushing and I make them re-write something. Otherwise, they don't typically complain.

What is it about writing that your son doesn't like? Is he bothered by it? Does it make his head hurt? If there seems to be a reason beyond just, he doesn't want to do it, I'd look into it a bit further.

Generally speaking, it just not his thing. Just doesn't like it; is not the least bit excited about it, but accepts it that he has to do it. But there are times we he looks

like he is pained to do it. I don't know how else to explain it. He does get headaches from time to time. And I'm looking into getting his vision checked although

there are no other signs of vision impairment. He is a bright kid, much stronger in math and science though. The problem is always with pencil and paper type writing

never with whiteboards.