Menu

Help implementing Core Knowledge (What Your __ Grader Needs to Know) as a full curriculum?

mathnmusic

What materials do you need to implement this as a full-blown curriculum at home? I've had these books from K-6th on my bookshelves for 2 years, and love the idea of using them to provide a well-rounded education for my kids. However, with a 3 year old and 1 year old in the house and general life busyness, lesson planning hasn't happened! I want to make Core Knowledge (CK) happen as a curriculum in our house and am finally ready to buy the materials necessary to do it. My friend sends her child to a CK school and I'd love to provide that kind of broad education in our home. The CK website lists several resources I've never seen in person or heard much about:Day-By-Day planner, Art and Text Resources, Teacher Handbook, and the all-inclusive Starter Kit. Which ones are really helpful and would you buy again?

I don't use the new series, so don't even have access to a scope and sequence. I use TWTM 1st edition, A Guide to American Christian Education, Write On! and other notebooking methods. I use the Magic School Bus DVDs, and the library as supplements. My ONLY beef so far with the original books is the lack of lessons on color :confused: but have found that effortless to supplement.

I don't know. I just read a bit ahead, get a cup of tea, and start searching the online catalog and place a bunch of holds and go pick them up a few days later. It's all so effortless. I keep waiting for something difficult to happen, or to get bored, but...I'm still happy months later. Go figure! I think I paid less than $20.00 for my set and have already used them more than any other all-in-one curriculum except for American School for high school. Fingers crossed, but I think I have finally found my elementary box.

Hunnter, I'm glad you posted your comments. You know these books like no one else! I have the original editions of the Need To Know books, but wouldn't you know it? The Core Knowledge curriculum resources seem to go off the revised editions, as far as I can tell. Arg. So either I piece together the lesson plans myself, which I already know isn't going to happen, I don't even go to the library regularly anymore...OR I buy their books and resources, which I'm willing to do, but it's just frustrating trying to figure out what all is necessary. I'm glad you're shedding light on these books though, because I agree with you, they are a wonderful resource!

Boscopup, thanks for bringing up BCP - I attempted to use it last year but wasn't successful at the time - if I were more 'on the ball' with planning I probably could have done a better job.

Alessandra on here used/uses (?) it. You might try messaging her.

Thanks for that! Yes, I have a thread going with her in the Gen Board, I had double posted my question to cast a wide net, and so thankful to have 'caught' her - her comments are so amazingly helpful!

I don't use the new series, so don't even have access to a scope and sequence. I use TWTM 1st edition, A Guide to American Christian Education, Write On! and other notebooking methods. I use the Magic School Bus DVDs, and the library as supplements. My ONLY beef so far with the original books is the lack of lessons on color :confused: but have found that effortless to supplement.

I don't know. I just read a bit ahead, get a cup of tea, and start searching the online catalog and place a bunch of holds and go pick them up a few days later. It's all so effortless. I keep waiting for something difficult to happen, or to get bored, but...I'm still happy months later. Go figure! I think I paid less than $20.00 for my set and have already used them more than any other all-in-one curriculum except for American School for high school. Fingers crossed, but I think I have finally found my elementary box.

Hunter, do you know what the biggest differences are between the older editions and revised editions? I just bought the older one and like it, and am wondering what's revised?

Tx

Beck

I read the 1st grade one and was so confused, especially by the "common" tales and nursery rhymes in the English section. I don't remember learning any of that but maybe I forgot? Do you need extra resources to teach the content? I felt like everything you "needed to know" was in the book except maybe the math instruction.

The old edition is only 6 books and it is complete. I use it for all of grades K-8. Topics don't necessary line up with what is currently commonly taught at the grade levels. What a PERSON needs to know is divided up into 6 books, in a logical and integrated sequence. I do NOT worry about using a book with the grade level on the cover. I think of them as "levels" not "grades". The pages are 3 color, on non-shiny paper. There are both hardcover and softcover editions available, usually for the same price, so I recommend the Doubleday hardcovers. There is a noticeable lack of lesson on color theory in this edition. I recommend Using Color in Your Art which is widely available at most libraries.

The revised edition is expanded and unfinished. There are books for pre-K and K, and grades 1-6. The history cycle is STILL unfinished after 8 years of study. The topics that were not covered are in the scope and sequence, but there are no plans to publish books for grades 7 and 8. Much of the new 7-8 is in the old grade 6. The support materials stop at grade 5. The topics line up better with modern ideas of what should be covered in each grade. The lessons are no longer as organized for integration. There is a distinct feel of too many cooks in the kitchen.

The pages are glossy (and therefore heavier) and full color. The art and music are expanded and beautifully done. Color theory is more than adequately covered. The maps are simpler and better for tracing.

I am OCD. I cannot use the new series. I just CANNOT. End of story. The POINT of this series is for box checkers to be able to check the boxes, but they didn't finish. What is that about???? It's like going to the store to buy a pink dress and coming home with a gorgeous blue one. It doesn't accomplish it's claim to fame. But if someone wanted something else, well...then, it sure is pretty! :D

The old edition is only 6 books and it is complete. I use it for all of grades K-8. Topics don't necessary line up with what is currently commonly taught at the grade levels. What a PERSON needs to know is divided up into 6 books, in a logical and integrated sequence. I do NOT worry about using a book with the grade level on the cover. I think of them as "levels" not "grades". The pages are 3 color, on non-shiny paper. There are both hardcover and softcover editions available, usually for the same price, so I recommend the Doubleday hardcovers. There is a noticeable lack of lesson on color theory in this edition. I recommend Using Color in Your Art which is widely available at most libraries.

The revised edition is expanded and unfinished. There are books for pre-K and K, and grades 1-6. The history cycle is STILL unfinished after 8 years of study. The topics that were not covered are in the scope and sequence, but there are no plans to publish books for grades 7 and 8. Much of the new 7-8 is in the old grade 6. The support materials stop at grade 5. The topics line up better with modern ideas of what should be covered in each grade. The lessons are no longer as organized for integration. There is a distinct feel of too many cooks in the kitchen.

The pages are glossy (and therefore heavier) and full color. The art and music are expanded and beautifully done. Color theory is more than adequately covered. The maps are simpler and better for tracing.

I am OCD. I cannot use the new series. I just CANNOT. End of story. The POINT of this series is for box checkers to be able to check the boxes, but they didn't finish. What is that about???? It's like going to the store to buy a pink dress and coming home with a gorgeous blue one. It doesn't accomplish it's claim to fame. But if someone wanted something else, well...then, it sure is pretty! :D

Thanks, Hunter. That is really helpful!

Beck