Menu

I am looking at AoPS Geometry and BJU Geometry for my 10th/7th gr students?

I am considering the above Geom. programs for my average math student 10th gr dd next year. We have done BJU Geom. DVDs before with two older daughters and we really liked it. However, I am intrigued by the AoPS videos we have used for algebra and prealg. viewing when we occasionally get "stuck".

My going-into-8th grade son is finishing pre-algebra and ready to start Alg. 1 in 8th grade. Normally, as I have done with his older sisters, I would put him in 2year Videotext Alg. I & II for next 2 years.

However, I could save some money and time - and make my life easier - if I put them both in Geometry next year.

My first inclination is to stay with my orig. plan and they'd each do math separately. However, they are doing physical science, writing, lit and Spanish together. My younger son is hard-working and particularly skilled at math. I don't have any big math/science level concerns for my younger son as we are detouring a year into geology so the plan will be that he takes chemistry in 3 years?

Thanks for your ideas.

Lisaj

I do not know BJU, but if you describe your student as an average math student, I would not recommend AoPS geometry.

AoPS Geometry is the most difficult of the introductory AoPS texts and is designed for students who are good at, and interested in, math, and who enjoy the challenge to go above and beyond the scope of a traditional program. Unless you feel that you have such a student, I would not consider this as suitable.

I am not sure I understand your son's situation. He is starting algebra 1 next year, but you consider having him do geometry? That won't work, since geometry requires algebra 1 as a prerequisite. I apologize if I misunderstand what you wrote.

Thanks for the info. I guess I forgot that Geometry required some algebra. I remember it being such a totally different kind of math than Algebra with my older daughters.

Also, thanks for the tips on the difficulty level of AoPS. I think you are both right - my son may be ready after some algebra, but not yet. And for my daughter, BJU sounds like a better solution.

Thanks, Lisa J

Thanks for the info. I guess I forgot that Geometry required some algebra. I remember it being such a totally different kind of math than Algebra with my older daughters.

Also, thanks for the tips on the difficulty level of AoPS. I think you are both right - my son may be ready after some algebra, but not yet. And for my daughter, BJU sounds like a better solution.

To clarify: AoPS geometry does not require "some" algebra, but the complete concepts of an algebra 1 course, including quadratics.