Menu

BIG Ice Storm and Space Camp -- WWYD?

My children received a fabulous opportunity to participate in a one-day, overnight space camp at the NASA Space Center. We would have to drive across the mountainous regions of Tennessee for about 3 1/2 hours to get there. NOW, SIGNIFICANT ICE is forecasted across the entire Tennessee region we would have to drive through on Friday, the day we are supposed to leave for the camp. I'm considering leaving one day early, but I'm realizing that with ice and freezing rain expected to fall all through Friday and Friday night, we likely would still have a lot of ice on the roads when we are supposed to drive home Saturday night. I'm concerned we would have to spend yet another night in a hotel before hopefully it's safe enough to drive home. That's now two weather-related nights in a hotel and possibly more. I'm a single mom on an extremely tight budget.

I'm also concerned that we'll be leaving our home over a time period when a loss of power and sub-freezing temperatures are likely.

I don't know how the other attendees are being impacted. I'm sure a major factor is where they are coming from! If they are driving from much further South, the ice won't impact them.

What would you do?

Thank you!

That is an exciting opportunity! Bummer about the forecast though. Do you know if the camp will ever be repeated, i.e., is it something they do every couple of months, or a few times a year, etc.? Maybe your kids' registration could be deferred to the next session? Or maybe just call the organizers and ask what your options might be if the ice does occur? IDK. Hope it works out!!!