Menu

HOD - what program for a 10-11 year old

pjssully

Hi, I was just looking for any feedback for anyone who is using HOD as to placement. I am trying to place a new 11 year old. Just turned 11. He reads great but handwriting is not great-he knows cursive but doesn't use it freely at all. And written narration is a new thing to him. He can do it, but it does take time and he doens't like it!!! He is a hard worker most of the time. I was hoping to place him in RTR but it looks like skill wise, he would be better in CTC.

Just was hoping to get him to the geography for high school and if we dod CTC, he will be a year "behind"-no big thing i guess?! Right?

pjssully

I have a 10 year old 4th grader in Bigger with extensions this year. This was his first year in HS, and I wanted to combine with his younger brother. Next year he will be in Preparing with Extensions, and will have additional science as he does this year. The PS he came from didn't prepare him for the writing that HOD expects in the upper guides. He has made great improvements since the beginning of the year. The extensions have added additional content, and he has enjoyed reading them. He is working at his level in grammar, science, spelling and math. He could have placed in either Preparing or CtC on his own, but I think he would have struggled with the some of the written work, and especially the independence CtC requires. I can't wait to do Preparing and CtC. This has been such a great year. He loves homeschool, and says it is so much more fun than his old school :)

When we did CTC, I had a 10 and 11 year old in it. If he places there, I wouldn't worry...you can always adjust your schedule as you go or school on Fridays (HOD is a 4 day week)...that could help you ensure to get to the high school guides in time. Even with kids who had been in HOD and doing narrations, it takes a few weeks to learn the skills in a new guide and get in a groove. I normally was very close those first few weeks to help any of the kids who hit a roadblock or to help them visualize what was expected of them by giving examples of narrating. Just things like that.