Menu

Way behind on history with a 4th grader

LAR

We are falling way behind with history, as we keep jumping from one curriculum to another. We start one but never finish. It's now time for me to stop procrastinating and get to work on history. Any suggestions on where or how to start history with our 4th grader?

Listen to the audio of SOTW and watch various shows.

I recommend (from youtube)

Medieval Lives by Terry Jones (All except the life of Damsels)

Horrible Histories

And if you can get it from somewhere

Connections by James Burke. The earlier seasons are better. The show is old, but where else do you see someone sporting bell bottoms.

If you were looking to jump into the four-year cycle with a 4th grader I would do the entire 4-volume SOTW for the rest of this year. It's not hard reading. Or the audio might be even better. I wouldn't worry about the activity guides or supplemental work or anything unless you had the time and there was a real interest. But you could easily read a few chapters a day and get the whole "story" of history by the beginning of 5th grade. Then just start Year 1 there again with logic stage history.

This is what I would do. Make it fun and just read and discuss. Will give a general background for next history cycle.

If you were looking to jump into the four-year cycle with a 4th grader I would do the entire 4-volume SOTW for the rest of this year. It's not hard reading. Or the audio might be even better. I wouldn't worry about the activity guides or supplemental work or anything unless you had the time and there was a real interest. But you could easily read a few chapters a day and get the whole "story" of history by the beginning of 5th grade. Then just start Year 1 there again with logic stage history.

You can't be "behind" in 4th grade history. Behind what? Elementary history is mostly about exposure. Start now, and you'll be fine. I like the idea of SOTW audio to get a quick overview. But you'd also be fine if you just started Ancients this year or next year. Or you could do interest-led history. What you do doesn't necessarily matter. They'll see this stuff again.

A Child's History of the World is 91 short easy to read chapters. It's like 35$ and written as though grandpa is telling his grandchild a story. This would be a great way to get back on track. I like what someone else suggested about getting the 4 volumes of SOTW and reading them through. More reading there but both are awesome.