Menu

BJU Online classes and dyslexia with low comprehension

I am considering BJU Online science for my 13 year old. He still reads very slow and his comprehension is poor. Do you think the course would be a good fit for him? I really wanted something he could do mostly independently, but I don't know if he will be able to read and comprehend the textbook. And then there is doing the written work to deal with...

Sorry, I don't know about BJU courses, but I wanted to mention that we used a couple of Switched on Schoolhouse CD courses several years ago. The nice thing about them is that you can block out assignments and keep it very simple if you want, and they can be done mostly independently, with no time limit, on the computer. I never used their science courses.

Do you know whether the BJU text is available in an audio format at BJU or for download at learningally.org ?

Have you looked at Science Fusion? I know for certain the student can listen to the Science Fusion text while online; of course, it's secular...

I know I can get them from Learning Ally, not sure about from BJU. I will check out Science Fushion. Thanks.

Sorry, I don't know about BJU courses, but I wanted to mention that we used a couple of Switched on Schoolhouse CD courses several years ago. The nice thing about them is that you can block out assignments and keep it very simple if you want, and they can be done mostly independently, with no time limit, on the computer. I never used their science courses.

Thanks!

Guest KisainCA

We use BJU hard drive for some subjects with my struggling 11yo son and watching and listening to the lecture has been a good fit. Not perfect, but good. If your son can pay attention to the video lesson he may enjoy it. Does he learn well through visual media? You can watch some sample lessons and see what he thinks. Math didn't work for us, but science, reading and english have gone pretty well.

HTH!

We use BJU hard drive for some subjects with my struggling 11yo son and watching and listening to the lecture has been a good fit. Not perfect, but good. If your son can pay attention to the video lesson he may enjoy it. Does he learn well through visual media? You can watch some sample lessons and see what he thinks. Math didn't work for us, but science, reading and english have gone pretty well.

HTH!

Thanks!

Guest Mommof6

My daughter who struggles with reading loved Science 6 with Mrs. Vick. She learned sooo much from the lectures and developed a love for science. Mrs. Vick is fabulous - she is very thorough and clear in her explanations.

My girls were in 6th and 7th grade - and both learned a lot.

Yeah, the attention thing is the real issue. The lessons are 45 minutes for some of the upper level science. Totally wigs my dd out. We got the physical science with the $99 deal, and although she likes Mr. Harmon a LOT, she has an extremely hard time sitting there watching the lessons. The TC courses people rave about are the same way for her. She'll put them on while she cleans or does something else. For her I'm doing just the labs from the physical science. This coming year I think we're going to do biology, and I think I'm going to use the Bio 101. We watched part of the Chem 101 a year ago, and she really liked it. So I think if we do biology labs, watch Bio 101, and do some reading, we're golden.

Conversely, dd's bosom friend, same age, ADORES the BJU science and basically everything she does with the online. But I think it's the attention thing in our case. It's not interactive like the VP online history, and it's not thrilling like tv. It's just listening to some man drone on and on about a topic you may or may not be interested in. Even when he's funny, it's a lot of droning for some kids.

So which year of the science are you going to do? It will be interesting to hear how he likes it! The BJU online classes come with interesting forum features, etc. He might like that aspect of it too. I thought it was very well done.

We are doing science 6. I really think he is going to enjoy the video aspect.