Menu

Your favorite curriculum/resource/supplement for 1st grade?

MommaOfalotta

Gush all about your favorite thing you've used for first grade-anything! Curriculum, resources, supplements... whatever you have been pleased with.

Any additional info you would like to provide will be helpful. (Secular or non? Why you liked it? Etc)

Im in the planning stages for dds 1st grade year so anything is helpful :)

http://thamesandkosmos.shptron.com/p/little-labs-stepping-into-science/introductory-science?pp=8&pp=8

Math U See. The blocks really help them see Math.

Waldorf style form drawing

Blank Waldorf style main lesson books. I love to use one for each subject. They are small and it is a fun keepsake. I wish I had done them for my older kids. Paper, Scissors, Stone has a nice variety. Rainbow Resource has Bright Books which are not as good quality but a good buy. They have different kinds of pages. My 9 year old is using a spiral bound journal this year and that has been great for him, as well.

Story of the World on audio. I like the Activity Guides but we wait and go through SOTW a second time when the kids are older. None of my first graders were able to keep up with the Activity Guide pages. But, they all liked listening to the audio. Plus, when we hit it the second time, they already knew the material!

And, if they are not reading, yet...I really like The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Reading. We have used maybe 10 different reading curriculums over our homeschooling career. This has been our favorite. Easy to implement. I don't use any extras with it.

Stepping into Science http://thamesandkosmos.shptron.com/p/little-labs-stepping-into-science/introductory-science?pp=8&pp=8

Math U See. The blocks really help them see Math.

Waldorf style form drawing

Blank Waldorf style main lesson books. I love to use one for each subject. They are small and it is a fun keepsake. I wish I had done them for my older kids. Paper, Scissors, Stone has a nice variety. Rainbow Resource has Bright Books which are not as good quality but a good buy. They have different kinds of pages. My 9 year old is using a spiral bound journal this year and that has been great for him, as well.

Story of the World on audio. I like the Activity Guides but we wait and go through SOTW a second time when the kids are older. None of my first graders were able to keep up with the Activity Guide pages. But, they all liked listening to the audio. Plus, when we hit it the second time, they already knew the material!

And, if they are not reading, yet...I really like The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Reading. We have used maybe 10 different reading curriculums over our homeschooling career. This has been our favorite. Easy to implement. I don't use any extras with it.

When you are ready for spelling, we love Sequential Spelling on the CD-Rom. They do it on the computer and it helps with reading and handwriting skills, in my opinion. It is self correcting so they can do it in their own.

Ambleside Online Year 1 Booklist I did this when my oldest was in first. We read these books aloud all day and did our own nature study & copywork. The language is rich in these books. I read a lot of Charlotte Mason and have kept dumbed down books out of the house for the most part. It has really paid off; she reads and enjoys quality books that most kids her age would find difficult. It was a relaxing and enjoyable year for all of us.