Menu

Help? Writing Good Pursuasive Letters and Essays

I like Lively Art of Writing because it teaches the student how to refine a thesis/point, and then come up with solid points in support of that thesis. The book is older, a bit dated, but didn't faze either of my kids. My 11th grader worked through the book on her own, reviewing the questions at the end of each chapter with me. I've used it a bit, when necessary, with my 9th grader, but he's not had it actually assigned yet.

Typically, I've leaned more toward the Writing Strands and IEW materials. This little book, however, was a perfect gem. It's not a textbook or curriculum, but (as mentioned above) there are several exercises and questions at the end of each chapter to reinforce what was taught in that chapter.

Here is the thread about the workbook. Read down through it and you'll find a link to a yahoo group where you can download it directly. It is essentially just the chapter questions from each chapter put into workbook form. I got it, pulled what I wanted, modified some of the topic options and am using it with dd now.