Menu

Greek follow through question

If my son works through all 3 level of Elementary Greek, then through Mounces, will he be able to read and understand modern greek? If he then did something like Rosetta Stone (which I assume is modern greek that is currently spoken) will that be a huge difference or will it be pretty easy?

Thanks so much.

Hot Lava mama

Thanks for the help.

Yapha, thanks for the information on Papaloizos. I saw a bunch of these on Amazon. So, you started on pre-school level? How hard was it? Does it explain stuff? Just wondering if the declension endings and verb endings are the same at Koine, but perhaps just the vocabulary is different?

Has anyone else done something like this and could tell me what the differences are?

Thanks so much for everyones help.

Hot Lava Mama

modern is different from koine - however, the transition is not difficult. The vocabulary IS similar - some spelling differences, pronunciation is different. Papaloizos is extremely easy to use. It comes with audios, workbooks, flashcards, reader - and for some levels, video, software game, and for one level (so far) on-line "tutorial" - which is really a carefully sequenced review of each days lesson for grade 1. It is a good price too.

There is very little in the way of grammar taught in this program - rather, the grammar is initially taught through reading/listening. The beauty of this program is - your child will KNOW the alphabet and be able to read in Greek. There is also a conversation course. In regards to ANCIENT Greek- there are some authorities who claim that Modern Greek is quite close to that - and are therefore using the modern pronunciation. Koine Greek is also sometimes pronounced using the modern system. But, once the modern is grasped, it is not difficult to learn the 2nd pronunciation.

Besides Elementary Greek, there is a living Greek course that uses a system similar to Learnables to teach Koine Greek.