Menu

Standardized Tests on line

Has anyone had experience with standardized test taking online? We are expats living in Mexico so the mail option for standardized tests does not work for us. I would love to have my kids tested to ensure that they are on level with kids in the U.S. What tests offer this option? Any information would be helpful.

Thanks, Chilanga

mom of 12, 11 and 8

If you don't need to report to anyone, the DORA and DOMA, available through HSBC, are pretty good-since they're open-ended, it's nice for seeing where your kids are without hitting a ceiling. They have enough "game-type" stuff built in that DD didn't mind taking them.

I know the SAT-10 is available online, but frankly, I haven't found it all that useful when DD takes it each year through our homeschool group.

We always use the California Achievement Test offered by Christian Liberty Press. They have an online version and a paper version. We have always used the online. It's $25 and pretty instantly gratifying with the test scores, once the student has completed all the sections. It indicates "Grade Level" in each area (math and english), and that's why I like it. Just as a gauge of if we are on target.

We have used the online CAT from Christian Liberty Press as well and will use it again this spring. We were very pleased with it -- easy to use, scores immediately, DD said it only showed her one question at a time (a big bonus for easily distractible kids). It only tests math and English/verbal, no writing, science, or social studies.

The one thing to note is that the same test is given to kids finishing 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades, so it is expected that the younger students will not even have seen all of the material, much less know the answers, especially on the math sections. They're only scored according to their grade, but I did warn my DD that if she saw something she didn't know, she should make her best guess, or skip it and come back to it later if she had time (the test does allow for that). I didn't want her panicking or wasting valuable time that could be used to do problems she knew.

Has anyone had experience with standardized test taking online? We are expats living in Mexico so the mail option for standardized tests does not work for us. I would love to have my kids tested to ensure that they are on level with kids in the U.S. What tests offer this option? Any information would be helpful.

Thanks, Chilanga

mom of 12, 11 and 8

When we started homeschooling and I just wanted to see if there were big gaps I used the released tests for the Virginia SOL exams. They are content based using the state standards. There were areas that didn't match up for us like history or recognizing money (we were in the Euro zone then), but they were a nice start.

I would look over the items they missed and decide if it was something they hadn't mastered that I thought they knew, something I knew they were still working on, something I hadn't taught but ought to cover, or something I hadn't taught that we would get around to eventually.