Menu

Best choice for Life Science

JenC3

I'm planning on using the Holt Science and Technology series after this year. I have no personal experience with them, BUT Kolbe Academy has homeschool lesson plans for them that pull together homeschool friendly labs, assigns the lessons, reading, vocab, tests, etc... and I don't think anybody has anything similar out for CPO. I was up between the two of them too and that was the deciding factor - I want something easy to implement next year since I'm adding a kindergartner to the school day.

I've used several of the Holt volumes (we actually are using the Astronomy book this week) when I couldn't find the corresponding Prentice-Hall Science Explorer volume at our charter's lending library. I prefer PHSE in general because they seem visually a bit less "busy" (though they aren't as visually clean as I would prefer). CPO I'm not familiar with since the charter doesn't have any of their books.

Just in case you haven't look - Mr Q has an excellent Life Science program and it's FREE to download but will cost you to print out and bind. That is the way to do it though - print the whole thing and bind it at office max.

My girls LOVE this science - the reading, vocabulary and experiments are wonderful!

Good luck.

Jen, are you looking for middle school life science or elementary? If it's elementary you're looking for, I will definitely recommend Mr. Q's Life Science; if it's middle school (and with the choices you gave - CPO or Holt - that's what I assumed), I think Mr. Q is a bit light for MS and not intended for middle school aged children.