Menu

Spelling Question-- AAS, etc.

LAmom

My dd9 is a natural speller and does well with Spelling Power and sometimes Rod and Staff (which we switch back and forth). I am also a natural speller. I remember my mom drilling me on the list of spelling words for tests, spelling bees, etc., and I did really well. Definitely visual.

My dd7 is not reading well and I thought starting him on some Spelling Power would help with reading. He did the first 5 tests and did fine. These were the cvc words. When it got to the different long a sound spellings (ei, ey, ay, eigh, etc) he did terrible. I didn't know what to do so I got out my Pear game with letter tiles and started showing him different words and seeing if he could pick what looked right. I am so visual when it comes to spelling. I glaze over at the rules. I just haven't needed them.

Anyways, my question is, do I just practice, review, do what Spelling Power says or should I try AAS. It seems like a lot of work for a spelling program. But, it may help his poor reading, too, right? Or do you prefer a different program for poor readers.

Also, if you recommend AAS, what level? Level 2? He knows and can spell cvc words, cvcc words. He was asked to spelled "came" today and wrote: ckame. Spelled play-- plae. What?!!? LOL. Anyways, maybe level 1 to get a good foundation? The tiles seem annoying as does the whiteboard. But, I hate poor spelling and desire to also get him on track with reading (while still using PP).

Thanks.

Also, if you recommend AAS, what level? Level 2? He knows and can spell cvc words, cvcc words. He was asked to spelled "came" today and wrote: ckame. Spelled play-- plae. What?!!? LOL. Anyways, maybe level 1 to get a good foundation? The tiles seem annoying as does the whiteboard. But, I hate poor spelling and desire to also get him on track with reading (while still using PP).

Thanks.

You might want to start in L1, even if he has memorized those words already. It has some basic knowledge like the multiple sounds for the letters (O has 4 sounds, CH has 3, S has 2, etc...), instruction on segmenting that would be helpful for reading, rules about when to use C vs. K, or K vs. CK that would prevent things like "ckame," etc... But there's an FAQ article that might help you decide whether to start in 1 or 2.

Or, you might want to look at All About Reading instead, if you are looking more for help with reading right now.

We started AAS with an 8 yo this year. He reads okay, but he spells horribly - his twin has mostly soaked up spelling through ETC and when I explain and teach rules for dictations. Not this kid. We started with Level 1. Even though we flew through it, there turned out to be some things he didn't know or had all backwards, which really surprised me. AAS builds on itself. Get the first level and expect to finish it fast and move to the second.