Menu

Friend wants to homeschool for a year, need book suggestions

A friend asked me about "that book that made you want to homeschool", meaning TWTM, of course. She told me she was considering homeschooling her oldest son who is in 3rd grade this year. When I asked if he was having trouble in school, this is what she replied,

He is not having any troubles in school Aside from just great distractions he's just slow. I call it deliberate working. There are so many topics that he would like to further investigate which are limited by the public school curriculum. His teacher said he doesn't really have any friends. She said he's not unhappy about it. He is really at school to be a student. I'm actually thinking about our fellowship year. August 2014. 5th grade. It will be one year -not sure where. Since transitions, ESP school transitions are tough. I thought I could get more accomplished with him.

They are an army family. They moved away from here last year and are now in VA. They move frequently, so, I thought a more unschooly approach might be better for that one year, but I don't know anything about that sort of schooling. Does anybody have any books they could recommend for her to read?

The 2 that come to my mind that had an impact on me was TWTM and homeschooling for dummies. Pocketful of pinecones had a great impact on me too. Dumbing us down? So you think you wanna homeschool? OHH, how about the great investigation into modern day schooling?? Just kidding..... There are so many good ones. Homeschooling our children, deschooling ourselves?

One year? Hmmm. I think I would recommend she pick up a copy of Rebecca Rupp's Complete Home Learning Source Book. Many of the recommendations will be old/outdated but the book can't be beat for a glimpse at interest-led learning.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Home-Learning-Source-Book/dp/0609801090/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1357774631&sr=8-6&keywords=Rebecca+rupp