Menu

Lattice multiplication & mental math

A question for the math teachers/professors/lovers that frequent the board: What do you think of the lattice method of multiplication?

In ps, both of my daughters were introduced to both the lattice method of multiplication and to the standard algorithm for multiplication. Both of them love the lattice method and prefer to use it.

I have noticed, though, that although they are both very strong in mental math for addition and subtraction, they do not do well with mental math for multiplication. I think that's because you can't really do lattice method mentally, but you can do the standard algorithm for multiplication mentally.

I am considering requiring them to do standard algorithm (which they both will do grudgingly).

What do you think?

DS is gifted with dyscalculia. For pure multiplication requiring an accurate answer, meaning let's torture a maths disabled child with multiplication of a 4 digit by 4 digit number, lattice multiplication is great. He prefers to decompose numbers and use the distributive property whenever possible though.

I've never considered teaching polynomial multiplication using the lattice method. For performing polynomial multiplication, area model of multiplication is terrific. The area model is simply a visual method of the distributive property of multiplication. Do what works for your student and be thankful that your child doesn't rely upon this type of math.