Menu

Opinions on Graded and Higher Lessons in English; McGuffey Readers

Has anyone used these materials successfully with their kids? It can be found on the Gutenburg website of old free books online but I bought a CD called A2 Home School Curriculum and it uses almost entirely books from late 1800s, early 1900s for language arts. When I bought it I didn't realize I could find it online but I do like that I didn't have to look for it myself. There are a lot of very old classics as well as copy work included.

I would like some opinions on it.

It also includes the book Word Lessons. This was written by Alonzo Reed and Brainerd Kellogg. You can either use it right on the computer or print it out. I have been mostly printing it out.

Is anyone using the old McGuffey readers? They are included on this CD also.

I have a reprint of this and intend to use it at some point. It was highly recommended by David Mulroy in his book The War Against Grammar as extremely comprehensive. From browsing through it in the past I remember there may be one or two outdated terms, but you'd just substitute the modern terms.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Against-Grammar-CrossCurrents-Series/dp/0867095512/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357676633&sr=8-1&keywords=the+war+on+grammar

p.s. I love how the Gutenberg edition has been typed in a modern font. So much easier on the eyes!