Menu

Tell me about IEW (fixed abbrev. in title)

2smartones

EIW or IEW? There are writing programs with both those acronyms. It's confusing!

I'm using IEW this year with my third grader. I got the TWSS/SWI-A combo, though I could have done just TWSS. It's gone very well, except unit 3, because I got stuck. We're skipping it for now. At the moment, we're taking a side trip back to WWE, but then we'll do IEW unit 4 (writing a report across sources) before the end of the year.

Note that writing is where my son is NOT accelerated. His hand is still catching up with his brain. ;)

Ok, I think you are talking about IEW... Website is:

http://excellenceinwriting.com

It's actually called the Institute for Excellence in Writing, hence the IEW acronym.

EIW is Essentials in Writing:

http://essentialsinwriting.com

Ok, so back to my first post... TWSS is Teaching Writing with Structure and Style. It is a set of DVDs for the parent to watch and learn how to use the program. It has everything you need. SWI is Student Writing Intensive, and it comes in levels A, B, and C. A is for younger kids, B for middle school, C for high school. You only use one, not all 3. SWI has videos for the student to watch, and it supplies all of the source texts. Then there are theme based programs, but it's usually recommended that you watch TWSS before using them.

The program is really confusing when looking on the website. Once you learn the acronyms and the paths, it makes more sense. Look at the Magalog on their site, and you'll see the road map. That really helped me.

Thankfully, the program is fairly easy to use once you have it in hand. It's just hard to understand it (or get the acronym) before that. :lol:

Here's the link to the Magalog: http://www.bluetoad.com/publication?i=101749

Look at pages 6-7. Note that their abbreviations are a bit different. They use SID for SWI. The key is on page 7 though, at the top. Just find the grade level, and look where to start.

My son is pencil phobic, and IEW has helped him break out of that shell. I should have alternated with WWE though, instead of dropping WWE. He still needed the oral narration practice, and I'm bad about doing that in other subjects when it isn't mentioned in those subjects specifically. So we're back in WWE for a bit as we take a breather from IEW (we did units 1, 2, and the first story of unit 3... started the 2nd one, and I had no clue how they were getting that outline, so I gave up on the unit 3 stuff... that's my own inability to do literary analysis :tongue_smilie: ). We'll finish WWE2 (narrations only), and then do unit 4 of IEW to end our 3rd grade year.

boscopup, I notice on your blog you mentioned that you might do their Teaching the Classics before hitting unit 3 again ... would you rec. Teaching the Classics, and how strongly, for folks using IEW?

I am [very slowly!] making my way through the TWSS DVDs, and it is fun -- I like thinking about teaching :) . So different than overseeing handwriting.

I haven't purchased Teaching the Classics yet. I've just heard good things about it.

My problem with unit 3 was not a problem with the materials, but a problem with my own ability to analyze literature. Many moms here understand that stuff well and would have no problem with that unit. I, otoh, am a math-minded engineer. Calculus doesn't scare me. Basic literary analysis does. :tongue_smilie:

We enjoyed Window to the World for my then 4th and 7th graders along with the elegant essay. We used it as a supplement, but I think you could use it as your base and embellish some for an advanced learner too. It helped my son, who doesn't like to write. He now collects his thoughts in a much more organized fashion and doesn't balk at essays. His sister loved it too- bu tI think she would love any writing curriculum! ;)

I have pencil-phobes in my house, too, but literary analysis doesn't scare me at all. I'm going to give all this a closer look and perhaps use it this Fall. Thanks, everyone!

OH!! Does this ever go on sale or does Homeschool Buyer's Co-op sell it occasionally? When's the best time to buy?

I don't think it ever goes on sale.

Timing depends on which program you use. If you do TWSS and just write across curriculum, you aren't adding a separate subject.

SWI-A is 15 lessons, typically done in 30 weeks (or 15 by advanced writers). It's roughly one paragraph per week. The first day is usually the longest, especially if you are watching a video (usually one every two weeks). After that, the kid writes, you edit, and they rewrite. So we spend 15-45 minutes on writing, 4 days per week.

Once we get through SWI, I'm going to just use TWSS across curriculum.

One thing that has helped DS1 get out of his writing shell is that Pudewa recommends writing the rough draft in PEN and expecting it to be messy. Write final copy in pencil. He also suggests that you be a human dictionary or give them an electronic speller. My son's phobia stems from his perfectionism and fear that he'll spell something wrong. He still doesn't love writing, but he's able to put pen to paper without freaking out. :)

RE writing hesitations, and Pudewa's pen suggestion: we're doing much better 'round here since I started letting Button use a pen for nearly everything (with the rule that he strike out mistakes neatly, one horizontal line through the middle): I was inspired by Pudewa's fondness for the pen. Pressing hard with pencil to get a satisfyingly dark line was taking Button forever, and wearing his little hand out ...