Menu

If you are using WWS with a high school student...

My ds is 9th grade, was a delayed reader, hence a delayed writer, so WWS fits where he is. All that to say it is not a supplemental program for us, it is his writing program. He's in the latter half of WWS I and we will move WWS 2 when done. He did participate in the Nanowrimo YWP as well.

For the rest of his English credit we are using KISS grammar (yeah, he needs that too), and Merriam-Webster Vocabulary on an informal basis. The literature portion comes from a Ancient Great Books study, we spent part of the year on the history spine and are now onto the literature. He'll read/has read Gilgamesh, The Iliad, The Odyssey (both with Vandiver lectures), a few Greek dramas, some Aristotle, and some Plato.

Most people include literature with English for 1 credit so this might not be helpful to you. We are using WWS2 and also Writing with Clarity and Style. I had also planned to use the first 4 chapters of Rhetorical Grammar, but so far the WWS2 is taking longer than I thought it would so I'm not sure we will fit that in. So all of that is 1 credit. I also give a separate half credit for literature(which we do all year but for less time than a 1 credit course).

My 9th grader is using WWS; to round out his credit he is also using A Workbook for Arguments, Analytical Grammar Highschool Review, and Vocab from Classical Roots.

We are counting literature separately, for that he is using Windows to the World, Introduction to Literary Analysis, Teaching Company lectures and a selection of books/plays/etc. from and/or about the Medieval period (linked with history studies).

hth!

My 9th grader just started WWS1 this week. We were doing our own writing program, but I just don't feel his basic writing skills are where they should be and needed something more structured. WWS is our only writing program right now, but he also participated in NaNoWriMo YWP last year.

We're almost half done with BJU Writing & Grammar 8, but we only do grammar. Once we finish the book this Spring, we'll switch to Daily Grams or something similiar for skill reinforcement.

Our lit component is assigned reading each week with discussion time over the weekend. I expect a minimum of 10-15 defined vocabulary words chosen from his reading assignments. We'll cover the books he'd already picked out for this term, and then I'm forcing him out of his comfort zone by making him select books from different genres. I assign the genre and he can pick whatever book or two he wants to read that week, as long as it's written at high school level or above. My goal is to make sure the basics are well covered before we get into a heavier analysis mode.