Menu

Another Paint Question :)

justme824

I didn't see the last post and don't know what this is for ( I'll have to go look), but I just had to say that color is gorgeous!

I guess I should have linked to that one...

I am on a quest to add color to my house. I'll be starting with our photo wall, which about 20 feet long. I'm painting the wall and changing my now b&w photos to color, and adding some fun color with wall art prints I found on Etsy.

It's a lovely color.

I will warn you that you have no idea what a color looks like until you get a big sample of it painted on your walls. Home Depot and Lowes sells little sample pots of paint for about $3. They can color match to Benjamin Moore paints (or you can get the samples from Benjamin Moore for about $6).

The way a color looks varies so much with the light. I used Gray Wisp (very close to Restoration Hardware Silver Sage) throughout my main living areas. I tried that color in the bathroom and it looked super dark, like teal. So I tried the gray with taupe undertones I had in the bedroom, Seattle Mist. That looked just taupe in the bathroom, no gray. After about 6 other samples, I finally found Sea Salt. Even though Sea Salt is much lighter than Gray Wisp, people think the bathroom is painted with the same paint as the rest of house, because the color reads as the same blue-green-gray.

So try out samples. Paint them either on big pieces of cardboard or directly on the wall, if you are sure to be repainting soon. And don't be afraid to try out a bunch while you figure out what works! Colorcharts.org was super useful to me while picking out paint colors. It will tell you what paint colors from different brands are the same or very similar.

That color is lovely. Benjamin Moore is, by far, my favorite brand of paint.

Another idea for you: instead of throwing out your old black and whites, try painting a shimmery border in a translucent paint. Paint your old black frames white. You can also flick some color on the frames and photos. Another idea is to cut out some things on the black and whites and mount it to canvas. Then paint in between the white spaces and a little up on the edges of the cut outs. That kind of art work is much more fun than what one can buy in a store.