Menu

eIMACS Advanced Mathematical Logic

quark

My son took it when he was about 14 during summer and enjoyed it quite a bit. IIRC, I think the course allows 9-10 months to finish (not sure) but my son finished in a summer and did well. (He thought he was supposed to finish it in 3 months which is why he went at a fast clip, but he also really enjoyed the problems.) The instructor was wonderful. My only regret is that ds is so busy now that he can't finish the rest of the courses. We thought they were really good.

I would say on average ds worked about 2-3 hours per day although I can't remember exactly. He tends to work in fits and spurts with breaks in between. That's good and bad. When he hunkers down, he gets a lot done but when he doesn't feel like working -- well, that's another story! He will have to learn to pace himself.

Good luck to your son! :)

Thanks MBM! DS just logged in for the first time a few minutes ago and keeps calling out "I like this! I like this!". So far it's good! I'm going to suggest about an hour a day and leave it to him if he wants to do less or more. Yes, 9-10 months is about right...it says 40 weeks in the welcome email. And I just read the email again...they suggest 4 hours a week and I think that's quite do-able seeing how much he likes it so far.

Your son finishing it in a summer is amazing! :) Thanks again!

Will be happy to update and if I forget please give me a nudge! :) He has spent close to 2.5 hours so far on it today and doesn't consider it school-time but fun time. Looking good. However, we have encountered upper level courses that start this way but get too challenging or frustrating for him a few weeks in, requiring either some wait-time for maturity to catch up, or letting it go, knowing that he has lots of time to pursue it again if need be.

I've been looking at it.... I have the hardcopy of their logic books (Book 1 and 2 of EM series), but I'm also curious how the online program goes... whether it's similar to the text or if they've got more added in (So far the Elements of Mathematics Operational Systems course is very like the text but with some stuff removed (fewer problems, tossed out the time zone section), so I don't see paying so much if it doesn't offer more...)

• 8 months later...

Edited to provide a more detailed update and review for others who want to try this program.

DS has finished LM1 and did very well. eIMACS sends you a university level course transcript upon completion of each level...how's that for a lovely name? :)

You can see the details of each level here. The course DS completed is level one. He hopes to continue level two in summer 2014 (too many things on his plate atm). I believe eIMACS targets these courses towards gifted 7th-12th graders. Not entirely sure on the grade level. They were okay with my 10yo taking it after he qualified through their placement test. The placement test tests aptitude for both the adv. math logic and computer science tracks. DS qualified for both but chose to take math.

DS was assigned an instructor to help him if he had problems. DS mostly worked on his own but emailed the instructor (they have a messaging function built into the platform or you may also email using your own email platform) about 5-6 times in total when he encountered problems. I really liked that the instructor (who was prompt with replies) did not answer him directly but gave him hints, like the AoPS hints at the back of the AoPS books. The online platform allows for students to answer all questions online and maintain a digital notebook to write and test proofs. DS chose to write the proofs with a graph paper notebook and pen/ pencil (he likes working the old fashioned way).

You can track grades and sessions online (e.g. how much time was spent this week/month/year and so on). eIMACS will also email the progress reports to the parents. I found the grading method (extra credit, weighting etc) confusing at first but after reading the progress reports it started to make more sense.

This is a 40-week course. Earlier I had written that he took about 38 weeks in total and about 3 hours a week on average. I quickly recalculated using the sessions page. His online hours are approximately 50 hours. So I am guessing that only half of the approximately 38x3 hours were spent online. Since DS used a real notebook instead of the online notebook, I think it took him longer than someone who might choose to use the digital notebook? Not really sure about this. Just be aware though that if your student spends 5-6 hours a week, s/he should probably be able to finish it in half the time that it took DS.

Unfortunately, I am no good at answering content questions because I have never taken logic courses in my life. But I can ask DS if anyone has specific questions. LMK!

Oh BTW, we used our virtual charter school stipend to pay for this course. That's another reason (but not a key one) why we think we will stagger it to one level per year.

Quark -

AWESOME!!!!

And if it's their Book 1: Logic, that's exactly my undergrad math logic course, so I would say it matches as a university level course.

Glad it was a success!

(and let me know if this is more detail than you'd like & I'll happily edit anything)

Congratulations!

If you need to transcript it, I would say that 'Mathematical Logic' would be the course title, and it would be a mathematics course. It is in the mathematics department at most universities (if they teach it -- for example, mine is too small to have sufficient enrollment for that class).

Congratulations!

If you need to transcript it, I would say that 'Mathematical Logic' would be the course title, and it would be a mathematics course. It is in the mathematics department at most universities (if they teach it -- for example, mine is too small to have sufficient enrollment for that class).

Thank you kiana! This is very helpful!