Menu

Science Other than Apologia?

I have a 7th grader using Apologia General Science. I am not a fan of Dr. WIle's writing style. I want facts and get straight to the point. My son tends to be more like me.

I am wondering what other science for 8th-12th science is out there? I want something challenging. He is college bound with an interest in veterinary medicine or broadcast journalism. LOL Not even within the same realm, but his interest has not waivered.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

TIA.

Deb

I use intro college texts for non-majors. I like them much better than almost all high school materials I have seen.

What subjects and level are you interested in?

Starting in middle school, we have used the following:

Hewitt/Suchocki Conceptual Physics Science

Hewitt Conceptual Physics

Suchocki Conceptual Chemistry

Tarbuck Earth Science

Campbell Exploring life (easy high school)/ Concepts& Connection (more challenging)

Knight College Physics (algebra based)

Chang: General Chemistry

I have a 7th grader using Apologia General Science. I am not a fan of Dr. WIle's writing style. I want facts and get straight to the point. My son tends to be more like me.

I am wondering what other science for 8th-12th science is out there? I want something challenging. He is college bound with an interest in veterinary medicine or broadcast journalism. LOL Not even within the same realm, but his interest has not waivered.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

TIA.

Deb

I like Regentrude's list and have been using the Knight Jones College Physics book with my older sons.

Kolbe Academy uses several high school level non-Apologia texts. I like that with Biology they use Miller/Levine and then add books to address the topic of creation and evolution. Even though we are not Catholic, I'm leaning toward this tactic when we hit biology.

Holt has several high school science texts that are available to homeschoolers. (This is the same company that now owns Saxon. So at least you don't have a lot of problems with getting teacher support materials.

UCCP has some courses available online. (Lessons are online, but assessments are only available to licensed schools afaik.) The lessons are designed to work with several different textbooks (whatever the school might have). You could flip through that and get an idea of some wider options. The texts listed would all be secular, if that is an issue.